PDA

View Full Version : Snowflake or green wolf eel for 29 gallon tank

Booboobear259
04/05/2014, 01:12 PM
Not sure which to get can anyone recommend one of the two for me I am a beginner and I want the one that is easier to take care and if you would be so kind as to tell me a good tank mate or two (if there can be) in my tank

airplanes1016
04/05/2014, 03:08 PM
Honestly I wouldn't recommend either. Both will outgrow a 29 gallon.

bfin3
04/05/2014, 07:15 PM
Agreed. That should be like you living in a cube with 6 foot sides.

syrinx
04/05/2014, 07:33 PM
If you could find a tiny snowflake it would be okay for a while, but would need a bigger tank within a year or so. The wolf eel grows faster and is more free swimming, so I cannot recommend it for a 29 at any size. Even though a snowflake is a "peaceful" moray, I would not keep fish with it in such tight quarters.

syrinx
04/05/2014, 07:36 PM
Agreed. That should be like you living in a cube with 6 foot sides.

Math is off, it would be like living in a cube with 7.5 ft sides, assuming a 6 ft man! But I agree with the concept. And my math is with a full grown eel. With a half grown eel it would be like living in a cube with 15 foot sides.

Booboobear259
04/06/2014, 07:27 AM
Honestly I wouldn't recommend either. Both will outgrow a 29 gallon.

Within the next year I am going to upgrade to a 55 or 75 gallon depending on how much money I have to spend so I should be okay until then and I am ordering one as a juvenile

airplanes1016
04/06/2014, 03:36 PM
Within the next year I am going to upgrade to a 55 or 75 gallon depending on how much money I have to spend so I should be okay until then and I am ordering one as a juvenile

That sounds great and I hope it works out that way. Just have seen lots of future builds never take off in the past. I would wait till I had tank in hand. That's just me

bfin3
04/06/2014, 08:42 PM
Math is off, it would be like living in a cube with 7.5 ft sides, assuming a 6 ft man! But I agree with the concept. And my math is with a full grown eel. With a half grown eel it would be like living in a cube with 15 foot sides.

I didn't bother to look at the length of the eels or the tank but I think i was close enough to get the point across. I'm a firm believer that if you take something out of the ocean it needs an at least somewhat adequate home. Plus your eels not going to be interesting to watch when it just sits around because it has nowhere to move.

75 would be good but as has been said planning on upgrades isn't always a good idea. You mine as well snag a bigger tank now.

syrinx
04/06/2014, 08:58 PM
Again I do not share your opinion, but do believe it is a valid one. In my experience, a beginner with a 29 will either have a bigger tank in 6 months to a year, or will leave the hobby. And a small snowflake is a easy fish to re-home. 50 gallons is a fine size for a adult snowflake, so its not an unattainable goal. I can easily understand your view when it comes to fast growing, active fish- because few people will upgrade to properly house a batfish, shark, or G. funebris eel, etc. etc.

HVAC Guy
04/06/2014, 10:28 PM
Please rethink that. Try living in your bedroom for a solid week. Ill sell you a 180gal setup.

Booboobear259
04/07/2014, 01:25 PM
Please rethink that. Try living in your bedroom for a solid week. Ill sell you a 180gal setup.

how much for it that sounds great

airplanes1016
04/07/2014, 02:49 PM
how much for it that sounds great

Now that's funny

syrinx
04/07/2014, 04:08 PM
Proves my point!

Mr.Tan
04/08/2014, 08:28 AM
if you're planning to upgrade to a larger tank, just wait until then to purchase an eel. The less you have to move the better. Plus, if you end up not upgrading you wont have an unhappy eel in a too small of tank

neontreefrog5
04/08/2014, 11:17 AM
like they said, the snowflake will grow slower. and the 'wolf-eel' isnt even an eel, so if youre considering that one at all, even for the future, do more research on it. the actual 'wolf eel' is Anarrhichthys ocellatus, and its a scary looking eel that feeds on sea urchins that you most likely could not have in home aquaria. Congrogadus subducens is actually a dottyback, the 'carpet-eel blenny' but is in the same family as pseudochromis. its often in brackish waters, usually hidden in rocks and such. it wont grow as big as Echidna nebulosa will, but still requires a good amount of swimming room. i would agree that 50 gallons is suitable for either. Congrogadus subducens is an aggressive feeder, and you will not be able to have any ornamental invertebrates with either species. Congrogadus subducens won't really bother sessile inverts (neither will the snowflake), but anything thatll fit in its mouth is a goner. theyre voracious and will go after small fish as well. the requirements are the same for either but Echidna nebulosa can go weeks without eating, and will spend much of its time hidden. both are beautiful additions but you will have to plan the aquarium around them so you dont lose anything!