PDA

View Full Version : Advanced Water testing thoughts

JerseyMobb
04/05/2014, 06:00 PM
Hello all long time lurker first time poster :wavehand:

I've been thinking about this and wondered if some one would have some input. With water testing you can see small movements through the day , most noticeably PH. So my question is would transporting water from your tank to a LFS also cause a swing in parameters? Is there a certain amount of time before that happens? Or am I just crazy?? Just trying to pick some people's brain on this.
Looking forward to people's thoughts on this

Thanks

disc1
04/05/2014, 06:22 PM
I wouldn't put much stock in a pH reading after a trip to he LFS but others like alk, cal, and mag will be stable.

Randy Holmes-Farley
04/06/2014, 03:05 PM
I agree. Of the things we regularly measure, only pH is likely to change in an hour or two. :)

billsreef
04/07/2014, 05:34 AM
Unless your looking to do dissolved oxygen and nutrient analysis for scientific work, nothing in the water will change that would be of concern ;)

JerseyMobb
04/07/2014, 07:10 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. Thats what I was thinking just wanted to see if any one had known or seen anything in experience. I've only been reefing for a year and half now, still new in comparison to most here

I currently work at a LFS and was thinking of experimenting with my tank water and seeing if things such as ALK, Calcium, and Mag hold for multiple days.

Is it right to presume though that since we physically put those things in the tank for coral consumption, water sitting in a glass vile shouldn't see those decrease at all since there's nothing to consume them?

billsreef
04/08/2014, 05:14 AM
It's not a presumption ;) I'm familiar the protocols for dealing with sea water samples from the point of collection (be it the wet lab on campus or miles offshore) and transporting them back the analysis guys and gals. For the nutrients, no problem with short term transport of a few hours, the Ca, Mg etc, even longer is OK.