PDA

View Full Version : Low cost multi channel foster pump?

karimwassef
04/05/2014, 08:37 PM
Has anyone made their own? I'm not interested in the electronics for turning it off or on. I'm looking for the actual pump design and build.

Darn autocorrect - DOSER PUMP, not foster pump. Anyone know how to rename a thread?

jedimasterben
04/07/2014, 07:42 AM
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1773806

zachts
04/07/2014, 06:03 PM
Any cheap ebay peristaltic pump with appropriate tubing and quality for your needs plus a power supply (probably you have one lying around unused) and a simple lamp timer.

you will need a beaker or graduated cylinder or something to measure output and calibrate run time, then you just set the run time needed for the dose you want and adjust the solution concentration if needed.

Done, likely for under $30 if your not picky and shop around a bit. If you want silent and adjustable get a you might have a harder time and will likely need a DC pump and a PWM motor control to slow the speed.

karimwassef
04/07/2014, 07:40 PM
For that much, I can get an aqua lifter pump. Anyone have any experience using these with a multi-additive mix?

jedimasterben
04/07/2014, 07:41 PM
Multi-additive mix?

zachts
04/07/2014, 08:00 PM
I assume you mean two part solutions? Aqualifter is not a viable option they do not pump reliably the same rate for long.

Aqua lifters are only good for two things (really none but) ATO use when controlled by some sort of float system and ocasionally monitored incase they stop working (they will clog and stop working) and for use to keep air bubles out of overflow pipes.

In ether application they are not all that reliable and need regular maintenace and replacement of the diaphragm an guts of the pump (every two to three months in my experience). I would never use them for two part dosing. they will not pump the same rate for long and will clog up and fail. They are very prone to clogging, a small spec of dust or a piece of hair can stop them from working correctly!

Spend $10 more and get a cheap true peristaltic pump they are far, far, far, far, more reliable.

karimwassef
04/07/2014, 08:34 PM
Ok. Thanks.

How about an IV drip line?

zachts
04/07/2014, 11:07 PM
Ok. Thanks.

How about an IV drip line?

Can be hard to regulate if precision is important? What are you dosing?

karimwassef
04/07/2014, 11:33 PM
Strontium and Molybdenum

shifty51008
04/08/2014, 12:46 AM
And why are you dosing them? Water changes should be enough to replenish those.

karimwassef
04/08/2014, 05:27 AM
It's a 380 gal show with a system volume of nearly 600 gal. I'm not doing much water changes. I travel constantly and need a self sustaining build with minimal maintenance.

Most everything I use is a DIY and I think the $15 12V DC peristaltic pump heads are the way to go. I made the investment in an Apex so I can calibrate and time the dosing even without a perfect pump head.

zachts
04/08/2014, 06:36 PM
Ok, given that your not always around and need reliability I might suggest you go for a bit beefier peristaltic pump. You'll probably want to find a pump that can run norprene or pharmed tubing as it lasts nearly forever (5000+hours run time v.s a few hundred hours on the cheap silicone tube used in small budget pumps) most of the cheap pumps can't handle the tougher tubing.

You might hunt around for used equipment, Litermeter pumps, Cole-Parmer Masterflex systems, Watson-Marlow, and anything sold used (or new old stock) as being from ink refill systems, etc (new tubing of course) just a thought.

Nothing wrong with the cheap pumps as long as you are around often enough to ensure they are operating and make a regular point of changing the tubing ever month or three depending on how much they run and the rate of dosing.

If your doing high volumes or near continuous operation the cheap pumps won't cut it in the long run, motors will burn out and tubing will eventually break on you at some point. But with those two trace elements you might be fine. How much to you need to replenish on your system on a daily basis?

I would assume you are dosing more than just Strontium and Molybdenum on a tank that large with minimal water changes?