PDA

View Full Version : Detritus build up or something else?

IUfan
04/05/2014, 09:01 PM
Hi all, for the last month or 2 I have noticed a lot more of this cobweb-y stuff on the underside of my rocks and in the nucks and crannies in the rockwork. At first I just thought it was some detritus buildup, but it seems to cling to the rock and looks to have now smothered the GSP rock that I have.

I try using a turkey Baster to blow detritus off the rock, but this still stays.

All params seem ok, nitrate could be high as I don't have a reliable test kit for it. Phosphate is 0.04.

It's a 180, 6' long, and have 1 MP40 on either end of the tank. Was wondering if I need to add more power heads, so maybe too little flow could be the problem.

Take a look at the pics and let me know if you think it could be something else other than detritus.

Thanks

IUfan
04/05/2014, 09:03 PM
Rockwork

IUfan
04/05/2014, 09:04 PM
Next pic

IUfan
04/05/2014, 09:06 PM
Next pic

Of note, corals are all fine and healthy, no issues to speak of.

I vinegar dose.

These pics are at night with a flashlight, much more noticeable at night with a flashlight.

Thanks for any input.

Crooked Reef
04/05/2014, 10:00 PM
I can't really see it in the picture but possibly vermatid snails? They release a spiderweb type of slime to pull in food particles from the water column.

IUfan
04/05/2014, 10:17 PM
Not sure, I think I've seen vermatid snails, don't they just release 1 long sweeping tentacle? Or is that spaghetti worms?

Here's the pic, but I've drawn a circle around the "cobweb-y" stuff. You can see it as fluffy stuff sticking on the side of the rock, try zooming in to get a better look.

mgraf
04/06/2014, 03:23 AM
Maybe hydroids, there are small, white/clear ones, their stalks tend to collect and build up detrius. I have a mixed reef and feed a lot. I have them in my setup. I just blow off what I can and maybe someday they will go away themselves. As long as they have abundant food source, I'm afraid they will stay. Haven't hurt any corals or livestock that I have noticed

IUfan
04/06/2014, 05:26 AM
Not hydroids, I had some hydroids in my old tank.

Could this be some sort of algae?

It seems to be killing the GSP. As you can see there's only 1 small piece that is still purple.

IUfan
04/06/2014, 09:50 AM
Here's another pic, this is on an overhang of a rock. See the cobweb hanging down, that stuff is everywhere and even attaching to edges of corals, it's only bothered the GSP so far, completely smothered it, couldn't even see the purple anymore, just took a toothbrush to it and cleaned it off, came off really easy and now the GSP looks fine again.

Some sort of slime algae?

IUfan
04/06/2014, 09:51 AM
Another pic, clinging to the underside of a green monti cap.

IUfan
04/06/2014, 01:41 PM
Could this be either:

Dino's?

Or Calothrix algae?

Any experts?

tmz
04/06/2014, 01:53 PM
Can't tell much from the photos,sorry.

IUfan
04/06/2014, 07:14 PM
Here it is all over this rock.