PDA

View Full Version : QT critique and what to buy

formsix
04/06/2014, 08:05 AM
DT build is coming along, so I'm also figuring out our QT procedure and gathering supplies. My plan is to do tank transfer followed by a round of Prazipro. Our DT is a 75g and we plan to keep clownfish, wrasses, an anthias, a blenny, and a goby. Not interested in tangs or angels.

For QT I have one 20 gallon tank, one 10 gallon tank, two PVC elbows, one small heater, Prime, and Prazipro.

Fish arrival: into 20 gallon tank salinity matched to wherever they came from
Day 4: transfer to 10 g
Day 7: transfer to 20 g
Day 10: transfer to 10 g
Day 13: transfer to 20 g

Day 14: start treating w/ Prazipro. Slowly increase salinity to that of DT (if lower before). Fish lives out remainder of QT in this tank.

Questions:
If I buy a HOB filter and seed the pads in advance, can I, after the Day 10 transfer to the 10 gallon, sterilize the 20 g, let it dry overnight, and then set it up as a cycled QT using the seeded pad from the DT?

Is the second day of each transfer the best time to use the Prime?

What is the cheapest thing (or two) I can buy for circulation during the TTM? Anything else I need right now? Thanks for any advice!!

formsix
04/07/2014, 06:59 AM
bump for Monday morning :)

thegrun
04/07/2014, 07:15 AM
If possible I would pre seed several pads so after each transfer you can sterilize the old pad and place a new seeded pad in the tank you are placing the fish into. Use prime prior to fish placement and then again if you see any trace of ammonia.