PDA

View Full Version : Sump Help!

JR8999
04/06/2014, 08:37 AM
First of all I would like to thank everyone who contributes to helping us newbies. Without all the valuable advice it would make this wonderful hobbie much more frustrating and cause far less success. I jumped back into this after almost 20yrs away.

My DT is a 56g tower. Cycled a month or so ago with LR. Current inhabitants are 2 cleaner shrimp and some snails. I am running a Lifereef overflow. I live in an urban condo and my DT is in the main living area. I have no desire to have all my equipment laying all over the place so I decided to keep most of my equipment in the DT stand. Due to the limited space in the stand I decided to get an Aqeuon ProFlex Sump Model 1. It is rated at 11.7 gallons. I originally thought I would get a skimmer and run it in the sump but now that it's time to make a decision I have to be more realistic. There is no way I am going to be able to maintain and empty the cup in that cramped space so I'm leaning toward an HOB skimmer. That leads me to the decision of what to do with the sump! Right now I am running the sump with just filter socks and a return pump. It seems kind of a waste to me to even have a sump if that is all I am going to run in it. The first chamber is the filter socks, the second chamber is empty (actually have a bag of bio rings goign to be used in my QT soon in there) and the last chamber has the return pump and a backup heater running. I am def going to leave the socks in the first chamber as it constructed for socks. The issue is what do I do with the middle chamber as it is very small (9.5" x 5"). Would like help to decide a solution without making my life complicated given the limited space to move around in. Thanks in advance for the help. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

JR8999
04/06/2014, 08:38 AM
Sorry forgot to mention that I'm running the DT as a FOWLR for now.

ravenstone
04/06/2014, 09:01 AM
Well, you could always add some live rock rubble into it for pods to live in. They will make it back into the DT via the return pump and be a tasty snack for your fish. You could also use it for growing cheoto. That way you can keep phosphate out of the water and use it as a food source (depending on what fish you keep).