PDA

View Full Version : Fish dying need help

Mg4life0331
04/06/2014, 10:40 AM
4 days ago I started a dual reactor with GFO and Carbon. I also dosed magnesium to rid of bryopsis. Just a small patch i wanted to get ahead start on.

Ive lost a pj cardinal and a yasha goby so far. No invertes are acting crazy and look healthy and normal. I got a banggai about to bite the dust and clowns look fine. Ill post water parameters in a minute but they were not off as much as I have been testing.

Mg4life0331
04/06/2014, 10:43 AM
81 degrees
1.026 sg
8.1 ph
10.5 alk. This is lower than normal, but I am supposed to expect that when I run GFO right? It normally rand around 12.
0 NH3
0 NO2
0 NO3
Phosphate was .04 when I started its down to .03 now
450 Ca
1500 Mag. Was at 1400 4 days ago.

I changed 15 gallons last night. I am making some more water now. I did not change water before this started. I just took the GFO offline, got my old HOB filter and running carbon through it and dosed some prime.

Sk8r
04/06/2014, 11:44 AM
Mg overcharge didn't do it. I've hit that level in a reef with no harm to fish or corals.

I'm no chemist, and don't know if there's ANY possible combo of GFO with mg that could do it...but I doubt it.

I think you have to look at other causes. Carbon isn't a bad idea. But how long were these fish in there with no trouble? And are you sure of your tests being accurate---how old are your kits?

Mg4life0331
04/06/2014, 12:16 PM
Mg overcharge didn't do it. I've hit that level in a reef with no harm to fish or corals.

I'm no chemist, and don't know if there's ANY possible combo of GFO with mg that could do it...but I doubt it.

I think you have to look at other causes. Carbon isn't a bad idea. But how long were these fish in there with no trouble? And are you sure of your tests being accurate---how old are your kits?

These kits are barely 2 months old. They are elos and red sea. I have had those two fish in particular for around 3 or 4 months.

Blind45503
04/06/2014, 12:23 PM
Everything you listed seems to be in very acceptable ranges certainly nothing that would cause the fish to die. I've seen people go up to 2000 ppm Mg fighting bryopsis and their fish were fine. I would agree with Sk8r you should be looking for other causes. Sorry to hear about your fish though.

Mg4life0331
04/06/2014, 12:30 PM
Everything you listed seems to be in very acceptable ranges certainly nothing that would cause the fish to die. I've seen people go up to 2000 ppm Mg fighting bryopsis and their fish were fine. I would agree with Sk8r you should be looking for other causes. Sorry to hear about your fish though.

Man I have been googling my *** off. Fish breathe like they are in an ammonia bath or something, but their gills aren't inflamed.

I'm wondering if I have something like HLLE.

snorvich
04/06/2014, 01:45 PM
When was the last fish added? Was it quarantined? If so, how? Describe fish behavior.

Mg4life0331
04/06/2014, 01:56 PM
When was the last fish added? Was it quarantined? If so, how? Describe fish behavior.

Helfrichi firefish. I had him in quarantine from 2/19 to 3/19. I would say a bit shy in qt. Lived okay in his pvc pipe. Came out to eat day 1. Would say he never was comfortable when I would look into the tank.

clownfish18
04/06/2014, 03:51 PM
maybe it could be stress

Mg4life0331
04/07/2014, 06:43 AM
Im going to try refitting my plumbing to the GFO. I used some new stuff from work but the crap is made in China. Reason I say this is because the first day I did not use stuff from work, but it didn't kill anything. The next day I had problems.