PDA

View Full Version : mocking up my rock..what do you think??

scott3569
04/06/2014, 06:39 PM
Well I am preparing to put water in my tank this week hopefully!!

So I decided to start mocking up my rock..I will also be getting more rock.. a little bit of live rock to help seed..But, I kinda was wanting to try and get it a bit taller.. any way do you like mock up one or two?

Tank size 30 x 18 x 22

Sgt Jonny Cat
04/06/2014, 06:43 PM
I like both but I would try and make some caves for hiding spots...

clownfish06
04/06/2014, 07:09 PM
Some people get a mason drill bit and insert a fiberglass or pvc rod to build towers. I got Oatey plumbers putty to bond the rocks together and it seems to work well. I am also in beginning stage.

Mrramsey
04/06/2014, 07:29 PM
Some people get a mason drill bit and insert a fiberglass or pvc rod to build towers. I got Oatey plumbers putty to bond the rocks together and it seems to work well. I am also in beginning stage.

I don't think plumbers putty will work as a bonding agent. It is designed to create a seal and never dry out or harden.

scott3569
04/06/2014, 07:45 PM
i have seen someone using a two part epoxy...i think on brs

clownfish06
04/06/2014, 08:03 PM
This is a two part that you mix and it hardens like a rock in 5 minutes. It holds like cement. Says you can even drill it after 30 minutes or so. It is found in the plumbers putty section at Lowes.

scott3569
04/06/2014, 08:59 PM
This is a two part that you mix and it hardens like a rock in 5 minutes. It holds like cement. Says you can even drill it after 30 minutes or so. It is found in the plumbers putty section at Lowes.

Do you know the brand? and can you get it at home depot?

clownfish06
04/06/2014, 09:05 PM
Oatey and it is in a tube with Oatey written in red. More than likely Home Depot carries it as they seem to carry mostly the same items. Wear gloves when you use it. $7 a tube.

TigeBell
04/06/2014, 09:25 PM
JB Waterweld is the putty you are looking for.

sleepydoc
04/06/2014, 09:30 PM
Well I am preparing to put water in my tank this week hopefully!!

umm - not to criticize, but you need some glass to hold the water! :lol:

Luke Schnabel
04/06/2014, 10:18 PM
Keep in mind it's more interesting to watch fish swim in and out of rock then it is to watch them swim in front of it. Make sure to leave space they can go in and out.

scott3569
04/07/2014, 04:50 AM
umm - not to criticize, but you need some glass to hold the water! :lol:

Sleepy dog thank You for your opinion, but this is a new style tank I am surprised you older guys have not heard of them yet.. it's called a wall-less fish tank..it expands with you and you can have many more fish and corals than those other puny tanks..

I got a great deal on it in petco!!!only $150

scott3569
04/07/2014, 04:52 AM
Keep in mind it's more interesting to watch fish swim in and out of rock then it is to watch them swim in front of it. Make sure to leave space they can go in and out.

Yeah I do have that in mind, thank you..I am actually thinking about maybe breaking up some of those bigger pieces.

Mrramsey
04/07/2014, 05:10 AM
Yep I had to end up breaking some of my large rocks as well.

scott3569
04/07/2014, 11:15 AM
Yep I had to end up breaking some of my large rocks as well.

how did you break them? did you try to break them in certain shapes or just randomly breaking them??

Mrramsey
04/07/2014, 11:22 AM
I used a hammer and a small cold chisel. Just chip away small pieces at a time. Don't try to do too much at once.

sleepydoc
04/07/2014, 03:12 PM
Sleepy dog thank You for your opinion, but this is a new style tank I am surprised you older guys have not heard of them yet.. it's called a wall-less fish tank..it expands with you and you can have many more fish and corals than those other puny tanks..

I got a great deal on it in petco!!!only $150

Too bad - you could've gotten this one (http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/diy-aquarium-kit-flat-packed.html?trk_msg=6DQVHCGUO304J0ND3B3LGOOIUC&trk_contact=973569LE0T6GNJ4T32DSMPBGG0&utm_source=Listrak&utm_medium=Email&utm_term=http%3a%2f%2fwww.bulkreefsupply.com%2fdiy-aquarium-kit-flat-packed.html&utm_campaign=education&utm_content=april1_040114b) from BRS! (make sure you click on "Full Details!")

scott3569
04/07/2014, 03:15 PM
Too bad - you could've gotten this one (http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/diy-aquarium-kit-flat-packed.html?trk_msg=6DQVHCGUO304J0ND3B3LGOOIUC&trk_contact=973569LE0T6GNJ4T32DSMPBGG0&utm_source=Listrak&utm_medium=Email&utm_term=http%3a%2f%2fwww.bulkreefsupply.com%2fdiy-aquarium-kit-flat-packed.html&utm_campaign=education&utm_content=april1_040114b) from BRS! (make sure you click on "Full Details!")

lol thats great!!!

scott3569
04/08/2014, 04:05 PM
Well I am trying to JB water weld some of my rock together...MY first impression is not good!!.. we will see..I kneeded the putty very well..not quite as long the first time as I did the second..and it's not want to stick to the rock..maybe because it's still just a putty form..I brush the rock and tried to get all loose stuff off before I used the putty..

So the first time, it did not work..one little piece of putty stuck to one of the rocks..so I ended up using the rest of the tube to try again..it is setting up as I type this!!!

scott3569
04/09/2014, 05:49 PM
Well after about a day and a half of head ache and :headwally:. I am now getting somewhere. here is what I have now..I would still like some what of a tower like on the right side..I am still working it also..and I need to thing about adding a piece of live rock or two..

I will say I am sorry a head of time if the pics are sideways..really not trying to make you work to see my pics..But when I up load them, they are the way they should be, and then when I post they get turned..I don't know why..too big maybe??

I also wanted to add..I tried to think about a few things while doing this..

1. cleaning the glass
2 ease of moving the rock around in case I need to get a stubborn fish that wont come out
3. I wanted it to be interesting
4. I wanted it to be interesting to everything I put in there. so I wanted some cave type places, places they can swim through and under

Giants206
04/09/2014, 06:21 PM
Is create two separate islands, one on the left towards the back corner, another on the right towards the front right corner, make them taller and thinner, and then maybe connect the two with a piece of branch rock on the tops

scott3569
04/09/2014, 09:06 PM
ok A little more gluing done, and I believe I have pretty close to my final look!! unless the water flow effects this or something else I don't think I will change it much from this here..Can't want to start watching water flow!!!!

Pigpen17
04/25/2014, 03:41 PM
Did you ever get your rocks in? I think you have the same tank as me. I'm always curious to see what folks do with this one.

scott3569
04/25/2014, 04:00 PM
Did you ever get your rocks in? I think you have the same tank as me. I'm always curious to see what folks do with this one.

oh yes absolutely! if you go to my profile you should be able to find my threads..go to my tank build I just put up a video I added water and I am on my third day.