PDA

View Full Version : Did my BTA die?

uscgbeachbum
04/06/2014, 06:59 PM
So I picked up a pretty sweet looking BTA with a green base last night. After acclimation I put it where I wanted it knowing he'd roam around a little bit. Sure enough, about 5 min later he jumped off the rock and ended up behind some rock work. 2 hours later my wife notices it floating in the water again. I don't think anything of it since he'll find the spot he wants. I wake up this morning and there's no sign of him. I know they typically hide until they get comfortable, but then we found about 5 very small pieces that look oddly enough like small chunks of shrimp (the kind you eat). Nothing remotely looks similar to a tentacle for a positive ID. I only have 1 powerhead in the tank (Jebao WP25) with no evidence on the shroud or anywhere else on it. I found nothing in my overflow teeth. Nothing on my Herbie overflow pipe strainers. Nothing in my filter pad in my sump. I checked my parameters and no spike in ammonia. No change in water clarity. I turned off all of the flow in the tank and checked as much as I could with a flash light. I've got a pretty open aquascape, but I'd imagine there's still 10-15% that we can't see. Thoughts? FWIW all I have in the tank are 2 blood shrimp and 7-8 trochus snails.

04/07/2014, 02:30 AM
Probably under the rocks, he'll come out when he feels better

uscgbeachbum
04/07/2014, 11:02 AM
Are there any obvious signs that an anemone has died? Water cloudy? Ammonia through the roof? If it matters, he was about 2" in diameter.

kalgra
04/07/2014, 01:01 PM
They usually make the tank smell pretty bad.

DieselJunkie
04/07/2014, 03:09 PM
If you don't have a big mess, skimmer isn't going crazy and the tank does smell horrible... it is hiding.

The same thing scared the heck out of me with my first RBTA. It hid for almost 5 days, I was positive I had to change something... but when I woke it in the morning it had finally came out for some light moved to a new spot and never moved again.

Don't worry about it too much or overthink it. Just like a new fish, hiding in a new tank. Keep an eye out, but they can deflate and sqeeze in some pretty small holes/under rocks.

uscgbeachbum
04/07/2014, 09:10 PM
Thanks guys, I appreciate it. Tank still smells like the ocean. Skimmer still acting normal. Skimmate levels in the cup same before/after.