PDA

View Full Version : Black trim for aquarium sides.

Graffiti Reef
04/07/2014, 02:34 PM
Hey guys, Im wanting to put some black trim on the sides of my tank where the glass meets. Im not talking about the plastic trim on the top and bottom but rather the rubbery type trim they put on the corners. I know glass cages has it but its a little pricey, anybody have any other ideas of where to get some cheaper? I was hoping a home depot would have a roll of some type of rubber/silicone tape but didnt see any. Thanks.

jdstank
04/07/2014, 04:31 PM
You could use automotive vinyl if you're talking about trimming the outside of the tank.

scott3569
04/07/2014, 04:56 PM
how about this..liquid rubber, the rubber coating that would go onto the handles of automotive tools..They are painting cars with that stuff now!!..but you can get it in small cans..just tape off your corners and apply it...this is just a thought I am throwing out there...I have done it before.. but it seems as though it will work

Graffiti Reef
04/07/2014, 05:26 PM
You could use automotive vinyl if you're talking about trimming the outside of the tank.

Yup, this isnt my tank but Im using it as an example. I need something to trim running vertically on the edges of the tank. Automotive vinyl as in the stuff they use running along the windows?

Graffiti Reef
04/07/2014, 06:40 PM
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd308/myke_cote/Divers/100_4995.jpg

oops, here it is.

sleepydoc
04/07/2014, 09:07 PM
how about this..liquid rubber, the rubber coating that would go onto the handles of automotive tools..They are painting cars with that stuff now!!..but you can get it in small cans..just tape off your corners and apply it...this is just a thought I am throwing out there...I have done it before.. but it seems as though it will work

Don't think this would work to put directly on the tank, but maybe if you had a form that you could hold horizontal to make the edge piece, then peel it off and put it on the tank it would work.

clay12340
04/08/2014, 06:43 AM
I think the picture you're seeing is just a tank constructed with black silicone instead of clear. It isn't on the outside of the tank. It is between the glass panes acting as a structural adhesive.

To try and mimic the look you could either paint it(most paints would be easily chipped/scratched) or use the vinyl window tint as described.

ohioreef71
04/08/2014, 06:58 AM
I'm in the process now of using aluminum "L" channel on the corners of mine to hide the ugly silicone seams. Home Depot sells it and when painted will look very nice.

scott3569
04/08/2014, 10:55 AM
Don't think this would work to put directly on the tank, but maybe if you had a form that you could hold horizontal to make the edge piece, then peel it off and put it on the tank it would work.

You might be correct.. I just know that i have seen them spray paint a car with the stuff. and it sticks to the windows just fine..until they want to peal it off..however it will not come off until you want it too

username in use
04/08/2014, 11:03 AM
I think the picture you're seeing is just a tank constructed with black silicone instead of clear. It isn't on the outside of the tank. It is between the glass panes acting as a structural adhesive.

To try and mimic the look you could either paint it(most paints would be easily chipped/scratched) or use the vinyl window tint as described.

This^^^

That is just black silicone, and the tank has to be built with it to look like that.

thebanker
04/08/2014, 11:15 AM
^ what she said, it's just black silicone. lol

Graffiti Reef
04/08/2014, 11:43 AM
Thanks everyone, Im gonna head to home depot and look for some L channel.

thebanker
04/08/2014, 11:45 AM
You could always use black automotive vinyl, wrapped around the corner and cut to the exact width you want. It would be the same stuff that people use to wrap their roof in black, etc.

username in use
04/08/2014, 11:59 AM
That would actually look a lot better then L Channel painted black as it would fit tight to the aquarium and wouldn't create a corner that was difficult to clean.

intyme
04/11/2014, 04:50 PM
What about a thick auto pin stripe?

thebanker
04/11/2014, 05:24 PM
Same concept really.

Mark426
04/12/2014, 06:11 AM
What thebanker said. L-Channel from Home Depot will look bad....to thick