PDA

View Full Version : beginner SPS?

frey
04/07/2014, 04:07 PM
Although I have some softies and some LPS from my smaller tank that I have now upgraded to a 180, I am thinking of making this tank mostly SPS. I am fortunate to have some fellow refers near me that gave me some bridnest and montipora frags which have done well for me in the past month, but now I think I have caught the bug and I want more SPS. Are there any SPS that would be considered beginner? or at least more forgiving than others?

I am running the kessil a 360WE's.
180 gallon, about 30x flow
temp 78.6
nitrate-.02
Phos- 0.0
ph-8.1
salinity- 1.025 or 34ppt
calcium- 400ppm

hydrahawk
04/07/2014, 05:17 PM
Try some Stylophore or Pocillopora, pretty hardy.

ivan osornio
04/07/2014, 05:34 PM
You can try some montis :)
I have lots of montis that I got long time when I stared my reeftank about two years ago and they can take some punishment !!

frey
04/07/2014, 10:07 PM
Try some Stylophore or Pocillopora, pretty hardy.

Any pics of these? I am not familiar with SPS at all. I worked in a store 12 years ago using VHO and t5 were just coming out. SPS were thought very hard to keep and we had very few and those were kept under metal halide. I just got back into reef keeping last year and boy have times changed. That's why I went with LED. Montipora is fine but I have a few varieties of those but I want to expand. I don't have any acros how much more difficult are they as apposed to a birds nest?

trueblackpercula
04/08/2014, 04:42 AM
Monti pro Digitatas are easier to keep and have some great looking colors.

Michael