PDA

View Full Version : Using metal washers?

mandingCa
04/07/2014, 04:34 PM
Hi all, I have been running a Euro Reef skimmer and sedra pump for many years.

Inside the pump there are multiple Nylon washers...that if left un-attended seem to wear down rather quickly.

I got tired of changing this washer, so I switched over to a Black Flat Spacer Washer. I used two of them and the noise reduction was quite amazing....I made the change 2-months ago.

I am running an all SPS/Fish tank, and have seen no ill effects. I took them out today to look at them and they look brand new still...showing zero signs of wear.

My question is....does anyone have evidence that this will cause an issue in a 200gal reef?

Cheers

sleepydoc
04/07/2014, 04:59 PM
What kind of metal is it? Most washers are simply plain steel which will corrode fairly quickly in salt water

zachts
04/07/2014, 06:26 PM
After two months if anything adverse was going to happen beyond wear of the washer I'd think it would have happened already.

.......you probably should have asked two months ago though.......

scott3569
04/07/2014, 06:33 PM
Those were my thoughts..But I am still learning so I really didn't want to say anything, glad I was thinking in the same direction

mandingCa
04/07/2014, 09:30 PM
Yeah, I asked a few local guys and they didn't think it itd be an issue. I'm trying to get exact metal confirmed, as I can't remember. It's either carbon coated zinc or coated stainless.

I know the first vortechs and many koralias, and my jebao dc12000 have small metal parts.

If it was copper, that'd obviously be a problem.

I've got about 13 fish, shrimp, 5 specie of snails, crabs, urchins, starfish...and a healthy population of pods.

It really is remarkable how much more silent the pump is. Those nylon spacers would wear down and the pump would sound like my grandmas washing machine.

mcgyvr
04/08/2014, 05:13 AM
The only metal thats suitable is stainless steel (and even it will eventually rust but rust isn't a problem) and titanium..

Be aware copper is used as a barrier coat in some electro finishes..