PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on HOB protein skimmer

Biggibby18
04/07/2014, 05:35 PM
I know what you all are thinking. Don't waste your money. But my problem is I am running a 55 gallon FOWLR tank and decided to get a protein skimmer. I haven't used one ever and I really was looking at a HOB to put my heater in. Where I run into the problem with regular skimmer is I don't have a sump and I don't like stuff sticking up really high on my tank. I know you all are thinking don't waste your money. Please don't bother telling me that. I need opinions from people who have experienced and have a good one for me to get AROUND $50. In school and ok budget. Thanks

ReeferBill
04/07/2014, 06:09 PM
For that price you will have to look for a used skimmer when you have over 50 posts you can look in the for sale and for trade threads/forums. Maybe craigs list or e-bAY....

ReeferBill
04/07/2014, 06:13 PM
I have a 46 bow display and a 38 gallon sump with 100 lbs of live rock and a hang on 75-100 gallon rated E-Shoppes skimmer HOB it works pretty good and adds a lot of oxygen to the water , great frothy bubbles check the Fosters and Smith website and watch the video..179.99 dollars

Hind
04/07/2014, 07:06 PM
I have used the Eshoppes psk-75h for about 4 months now. I'm the same situation as you, no room for a sump on my small setup. So far this skimmer has been excellent, it's quiet and effective. I have it hanging on the back of a 29g but I would recommend getting the larger version on any larger tank despite the specs of it being able to keep up to a 75g. I paid $130 in December from Amazon. $50 skimmer hob is pretty limiting, any way to save up a little more? Sell some stuff. Good luck!

I wouldn't put a heater inside the skimmer, mine is sealed up tight so I couldn't put one in there unless I broke it... I hide my heater behind my rock work the best I can.

rovster
04/07/2014, 07:15 PM
That budget is kind of limiting for that size tank. Nothing wrong with a HOB, I have an aquamaxx on my 30 and it kicks butt!

Reefvet
04/07/2014, 07:16 PM
I know what you all are thinking.Please don't bother telling me that....

I need opinions from people who have experienced and have a good one for me to get AROUND $50. In school and ok budget. Thanks

If you are hear asking questions but don't want to be told what you don't want to hear maybe you should reconsider asking at all.

Putting a heater in a skimmer is a really bad idea for a number of reasons.

1) It's not designed to have anything inside of it that will restrict it's flow.

2) If the skimmer stops you'll have a very cold tank.

3)If the heater gets too hot it could damage the skimmer.

You'll find good used HOB skimmers for $100 - $125.

mgraf
04/07/2014, 07:38 PM
I run a Aqua C pro S with mag 5 on my 120. I have a sump but not a lot of head room in stand. I love it. I think with the larger pump it does a great job. I also run an ATS, so it is not my only means of nutrient reduction. I have mostly lps and softies, a few easier sps so nutrients aren't a huge worry for me.
However, when I upgrade in a few years, I will have a more efficient skimmer running.

Biggibby18
04/07/2014, 08:04 PM
Suggestions on a good HOB?

Sugar Magnolia
04/07/2014, 08:08 PM
You've already gotten a few suggestions. You won't find a decent skimmer under $130, period.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2398776

stingeragent
04/07/2014, 08:20 PM
Agree to all of the above. There just aren't any skimmers made for 50 bucks. I think the absolute cheapest is an in tank skimmer that fluval makes. Believe they are around 60-70, but as I said, its in tank. There are a couple right around 100, clone something or the other, coralife, but they always get bad reviews. I'm a new salt water guy myself and was looking on the cheap for a skimmer. I was real tempted on several of the sub 100 dollar ones, but after looking at the forums, they are basically a waste of money, so I opted for the eshopps 75 hob which has worked flawless so far in the month or so I've had it. If your looking for an experienced reefkeeper to recommend you a good 50 dollar skimmer, you will never find one. If you just MUST buy the cheapest one made which btw will still be more than 50 bucks, just look on amazon, ebay, etc and sort by price low to high and you'll see your options, but honestly why waste your money? You'd be better off with an aquaclear 50 hob filter than a crap skimmer. I'm sure that's not the answer you wanted either but do you honestly want people to recommend you crap that they know from experience won't work? I have wayyyy too many very expensive hobbies and it doesn't take long to learn that there are areas that you can cheap out and it will be fine forever, but there are some critical things that if you buy the cheapest option, you will end up giving up on the whole thing altogether, or spend more money buying something good and still being stuck with a hunk of junk that doesn't work, and you can't sell because no one wants it.

Edit. Just reread your post and can't figure out why you would want to put a heater in your skimmer? They aren't designed to hold stuff. The outflow from skimmers isn't even all that fast so even if you did shove a heater in it, the skimmer would most likely not work right, and the heater would be worthless anyways working in less than a gallon of water. It would most likely just turn it self on and off constantly.

Biggibby18
04/07/2014, 08:33 PM
I think I am gong to go with the reef octopus b1000! Lots of good reviews!

ReeferBill
04/07/2014, 09:01 PM
Save your money for the reef octopus or build one. I read a post on hear of someone building their own homemade skimmer out of a soda bottle.

stingeragent
04/07/2014, 09:08 PM
You totally confuse me. You make a post about blue tangs and clowns, and the whole time fight your case and in the last post say HEY I took your advice and it works... In this one, you continued about a cheap cheap hob, and then come to the conclusion of a reef octo (they are good btw), that no one mentioned.

Sugar Magnolia
04/07/2014, 09:12 PM
You totally confuse me. You make a post about blue tangs and clowns, and the whole time fight your case and in the last post say HEY I took your advice and it works... In this one, you continued about a cheap cheap hob, and then come to the conclusion of a reef octo (they are good btw), that no one mentioned.

If you look at the link I posted you'll see.

Biggibby18
04/07/2014, 10:48 PM

If it annoys you how about not bothering by commenting anymore? How does that sound?

toku58
04/08/2014, 09:19 AM
For that price you will have to look for a used skimmer when you have over 50 posts you can look in the for sale and for trade threads/forums. Maybe craigs list or e-bAY....

Where are these forums located?

Sugar Magnolia
04/08/2014, 09:33 AM
Where are these forums located?

You'll be able to see them after your 90 days of membership are up.

vivicat215
04/08/2014, 11:56 AM
Reef Octopus BH 90 is supposed to be the best HOB skimmer for this brand, maybe you can find a good used one, mine was 179 brand new.

NYCBOB
04/08/2014, 04:46 PM
$50 for hob skimmer? just do a few more water change.

toku58
04/08/2014, 05:51 PM
You'll be able to see them after your 90 days of membership are up.

That's sad because by that time I'll have all my equiptment.:hmm4::worried:

NyReefNoob
04/08/2014, 05:56 PM
love my bubble magnus nac5 hob

AdamNC
04/08/2014, 08:12 PM
I've always used AquaC Remora in the past and have had great luck with it. A lot of people say they are outdated but hey what ever works good for what you need why change it.

Biggibby18
04/09/2014, 09:27 PM
I wound up getting a cpr backpack skimmer