PDA

View Full Version : Peppermint shrimp for aiptasia

JonV88
04/07/2014, 06:34 PM
So I got a pepp shrimp to help with my aiptasia, small guy but I'm having trouble getting him hungry every time I feed for the tank he gets his fill so he's not really going after aiptasia any ideas on what I should do??

Felix T Cat
04/07/2014, 06:37 PM
I have tried multiple times with peps from different sources and none of them have ever even made a dent on my aiptasia issue. I added a Filefish tonight and the second he hit the tank he started nipping at an aiptasia I had on the glass.

I'm going to keep a close eye on him and my corals but so far so good.

markh50
04/07/2014, 06:41 PM
they did a great job for me I was seeing about 6 of them 2 weeks ago now I see none I would try it, I paid just 7 dollars for 2 of them at my lps

JonV88
04/07/2014, 06:50 PM
I think it's because mine is still tiny in beginning I noticed him eating aiptasia but then I keep seeing newer 1s pop up. I think theirs too many for him

shermanator
04/07/2014, 06:53 PM
Berghia nudibranches. They only eat aiptasia and they do a good job of it. Only downside is that they are expensive.

davocean
04/07/2014, 06:57 PM
Usually people add a handful of peps, but even then it's iffy, and then if they pick at things they are tougher to catch.
berghia nudibranchs and matted file fish are other options, both easier to catch if you want to pull them after.
Sometimes hitting apt w/ aptasia X melts them enough to make it easy for eating and encourages the eating of your aptasia.
The combo has worked for me, I have a CBB that took care of my aptasia, but they are a little trickier to keep.
I did not care for peps, they stole food and messed w/ snails.

Mikesmith34
04/07/2014, 07:57 PM
Research reef napalm. It will kill ap's 100%. I've used it to kill undesirable corals as well like xenia and mushrooms

JonV88
04/07/2014, 08:01 PM
Research reef napalm. It will kill ap's 100%. I've used it to kill undesirable corals as well like xenia and mushrooms

I have a frogspawn frag and mushrooms and RBA don't know if that will work for me

Crooked Reef
04/07/2014, 08:01 PM
Peps will generally only eat the small ones too. If you have an extreme infestation and large ones they may not even make a noticeable dent. I got lucky and bought two of them that handled my 3 small aiptasia in about 3 or 4 days.

JonV88
04/07/2014, 08:02 PM
Thanks every1 for the info

JonV88
04/07/2014, 08:04 PM
I think I might try the matted filefish but am scared it might pick on my coral, and berghia nudibranches are my last option I kno they starve after eliminating aiptasia

Relativity
04/07/2014, 08:27 PM
I bought 8 berghias and I only saw 1 after four months on the glass. They did nothing to my aptisia population. They have the gut the size of a grain of sand. I think I would need a thousand of them to do anything

Son512
04/07/2014, 08:34 PM
I bought 2 peps. 1 ate like a pig and decimated a large population of aiptasia within a week.

Crooked Reef
04/07/2014, 09:14 PM
I bought 8 berghias and I only saw 1 after four months on the glass. They did nothing to my aptisia population. They have the gut the size of a grain of sand. I think I would need a thousand of them to do anything

The breghais really need to reproduce to be effective. If you just dropped them in and have fish that found them through the night they probably got picked off

albano
04/07/2014, 09:48 PM
So I got a pepp shrimp to help with my aiptasia, small guy but I'm having trouble getting him hungry every time I feed for the tank he gets his fill so he's not really going after aiptasia any ideas on what I should do??

Hopefully it is a Caribbean Pep, as they are the only ones that will eat aiptasia ...cut back on feeding your fish for a few days...but don't expect to see the Pep eating the aiptasia, they do their best work at night!

Where did you get the Pep? Max Reefs?

JonV88
04/07/2014, 09:50 PM
My local store jawz.net

JonV88
04/07/2014, 09:51 PM
I've seen him picking at aiptasia before, like when I turn lights on I'll see him over a retracted aiptasia but it'll recover

davocean
04/07/2014, 09:52 PM
I think I might try the matted filefish but am scared it might pick on my coral, and berghia nudibranches are my last option I kno they starve after eliminating aiptasia

From comments I've seen they usually will go for the pests first.
Sometimes they don't bother anything at all, especially if well fed.
If not, easy to catch and pass it along.

albano
04/07/2014, 09:54 PM
My local store jawz.net

No idea what they stock...stopped going there years ago! You should drive to Yonkers to see 20x the inventory at less than 1/2 the price

chris.scang
04/08/2014, 09:22 AM
I recently put 3 peppermint shrimp in my tank to take care of some aptasia and they are doing great work. But like many people have said, don't expect to see them eating the aptasia. The peppermints are nocturnal and will do their best work in the dark.

Uncle Salty 05
04/08/2014, 09:29 AM
Kalk paste always works for me.
It is something I add anyway and I know it will do no harm. (if used correctly)

JonV88
04/08/2014, 10:50 AM
Well I just bought a berghia nudibranche if any1 needs 1 near new Rochelle NY area u are more than welcome to come for it after he cleans out my tank

SpectraPure
04/08/2014, 12:11 PM
There is a product called Aptasia X. It works! We don't sell it, but I am sure that you can find it.

Jeremy

davocean
04/08/2014, 12:25 PM
There is a product called Aptasia X. It works! We don't sell it, but I am sure that you can find it.

Jeremy

Many of us have used this and thought the same...at first.
You will most likely see it recede and appear to go away, only to have it come back in numbers.
What I DO recommend is to use this product or similar to somewhat melt the larger apts, or help break down the larger ones in order to make it easier for whatever animal you use to control them eat them.
Most of the animals we use will prefer the smaller apts, or will eat at the semi melted/distressed aptasia, and often will really develop an appetite for aptasia and become more aggressive at controlling it.

SpectraPure
04/08/2014, 12:29 PM
It never did that for me. It worked like a charm.

SpectraPure
04/08/2014, 12:37 PM
I had a peppermint shrimp, but I noticed that my hermit crabs were missing. I later found that there was a shell graveyard underneath a live rock where the peppermint shrimp lived.

shermanator
04/08/2014, 12:40 PM
Well I just bought a berghia nudibranche if any1 needs 1 near new Rochelle NY area u are more than welcome to come for it after he cleans out my tank

As a caution, you usually need more than one (which gets quite expensive). To be truly effective, you want them to yield offspring.

And make sure you provide time for them to establish themselves (while the tank has no or very little flow). They will probably move to the first rock cave they find (and if you are lucky lay some eggs (very distinct spiral pattern)).

davocean
04/08/2014, 02:09 PM
It never did that for me. It worked like a charm.

Well, Aptasia X has been around for a few years now at least, I still see a lot of people that have tried it coming back to finding something that eats it.

SpectraPure
04/08/2014, 02:12 PM
It makes sense to take care of it naturally. It's just that I felt bad for my hermit crabs. =(

davocean
04/08/2014, 02:24 PM
It makes sense to take care of it naturally. It's just that I felt bad for my hermit crabs. =(

Oh I agree there, I DO NOT like peps, they attack snails too, and steal food from my nems.
I will take a berghia group or a matted filefish over them any day, and if you can sustain a CBB and get lucky to have one that eats app even better IMO.
I have used the Apt X in training CBB's to start eating apt, have not done this w/ a filefish, but they are quicker to jump on it from the get go.

JonV88
04/09/2014, 04:41 PM
As a caution, you usually need more than one (which gets quite expensive). To be truly effective, you want them to yield offspring.

And make sure you provide time for them to establish themselves (while the tank has no or very little flow). They will probably move to the first rock cave they find (and if you are lucky lay some eggs (very distinct spiral pattern)).

Sweet thanks for the advice, just got them right now drip acclimating, and yeah I got 3

JonV88
04/09/2014, 04:43 PM
Many of us have used this and thought the same...at first.

You will most likely see it recede and appear to go away, only to have it come back in numbers.

What I DO recommend is to use this product or similar to somewhat melt the larger apts, or help break down the larger ones in order to make it easier for whatever animal you use to control them eat them.

Most of the animals we use will prefer the smaller apts, or will eat at the semi melted/distressed aptasia, and often will really develop an appetite for aptasia and become more aggressive at controlling it.

+1 for me it harms them they hide then come back out the week after recovered it did help my tiny pepp shrimp take some tentacles of them but that's bout it