PDA

View Full Version : So my Jeabo universal power adapter blew up!

Reefahholic
04/08/2014, 02:20 AM
Have no clue why.

Question: where do you guys run that little side switch that has all the different voltage (12v, 16v, 18v, 20v, 24v etc). I may have had it on the wrong setting. Not sure.

I found either a printer or computer power supply adapter and it's working, but doesn't have the same power (less).

I emailed, they are $7 but about $15 with shipping to USA.

Here is the response I got:

HI

This item is now change to Standard version for 5A for US 3 plug for IEEE rule

HI

Our 5A power supply is standard with provides more power on the twin power supply

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
What is a 5A, and what was the old one? 4A...6A???

My question:
Is this gonna be less power than the original or more. I don't understand really why they changed it. I have the twin controller by the way.

Any info would be great!

Saltydrip
04/08/2014, 03:17 AM
Get the voltage requirements off the data tag and go to radioshack. You will be up and running ASAP.

origreefer
04/08/2014, 06:00 AM
Get the voltage requirements off the data tag and go to radioshack. You will be up and running ASAP.

Good advice. I hope Rshack sells American made ones. In my experience, any chines made electronic device is garbage. I can't even count how many chinese power supplies I've had have died.

sirreal63
04/08/2014, 06:28 AM
Is there no warranty on the power supply?

anbosu
04/08/2014, 06:44 AM
Probably not if you're running a dimmer on it

Reefahholic
04/08/2014, 06:59 AM
Good advice. I hope Rshack sells American made ones. In my experience, any chines made electronic device is garbage. I can't even count how many chinese power supplies I've had have died.

Hmm...I have a fry's electronics here in Houston, TX and they have EVERYTHING. Might drop by. Or this new one from fishstreet.com is only $7, might just see if it's better.

I'm sure if it were a Vortech, the cost would be $250 to replace it.:lolspin:

Reefahholic
04/08/2014, 07:01 AM
Is there no warranty on the power supply?

Got mine nearly brand new from another reefer on here. He went with Vortech's and I'm glad he did. I love the Jeabo pumps.

terrypercula
04/08/2014, 07:20 AM
I'm sure if it were a Vortech, the cost would be $250 to replace it.:lolspin:

If mine ever breaks I'll let you know how much they are. Don't hold your breath though, it won't break :lol:

You could buy my whole WP25 off me if you want. $40 shipped but the controller is broken ha

Reefahholic
04/08/2014, 08:50 AM
If mine ever breaks I'll let you know how much they are. Don't hold your breath though, it won't break :lol:

You could buy my whole WP25 off me if you want. $40 shipped but the controller is broken ha

That's ok, you can keep those expensive loud vortech's. I'll keep running Jeabo's and replacing them for the price you paid for mp40's. I can replace mine 10x after they break and still pay less than you did. Hope yours don't break. You might have to sell your car to get them replaced.

I'm pretty sure the Power adapter fried due to operator error. Adult bevs were involved. :D

terrypercula
04/08/2014, 09:10 AM
That's ok, you can keep those expensive loud vortech's. I'll keep running Jeabo's and replacing them for the price you paid for mp40's. I can replace mine 10x after they break and still pay less than you did. Hope yours don't break. You might have to sell your car to get them replaced.

I'm pretty sure the Power adapter fried due to operator error. Adult bevs were involved. :D

I have two witnesses now but my Jebao is waaay louder than my vortechs but I'm happy camper with my MP's. I'll spend the extra cash on quality.

MondoBongo
04/08/2014, 09:15 AM
What is a 5A, and what was the old one? 4A...6A???

i would hazard a guess that it may mean 5 Amps. that would make sense given the context of a power supply.

i was shocked this past weekend when i stopped in the city and saw a radio shack. i can't believe they're still around. i remember back in the day when you could go down there and buy bread boards, resistors, transistors, and all kinds of other components for building your own circuits.

i made all kinds of cool stuff from those parts aisles. my own metal detector, robot kits, my own ohms meter.

ah memories...

fifthtoe
04/08/2014, 09:33 AM
Blew up? As in, could have started a fire?

tkeracer619
04/08/2014, 12:44 PM
Anytime electronics let out smoke they can start a fire.

Why is it that every thread about this brand turns into the same stupid rehash thread bashing ecotech? We got it, you made the right choice for you. The only people who care what you buy are trolls.

Reefahholic
04/08/2014, 09:21 PM
Blew up? As in, could have started a fire?

I was holding the twin controller and it came unplugged from the base. I plugged it back in and it was like somebody had lit a firecracker inside that adapter box. It did feel very cheap, hollow, and was snap crackle and poping in my hand. yes, it could have started a fire for sure. i think the guy i bought it from had issues plugging the cord into the adapter box which looked damaged a little bit at the entrance where the plug goes into the box. so it wouldn't have done that I don't think if it hadn't been damaged from forcefull use. I'm just glad it didn't fry my twins controller. I would have cried. I love that thing. I'm just still on a high that these pumps work so well for being so cheap.

but, they are $7 lol....so who really cares.

I bet the new one is made better and i doubt ill have issues.

Reefahholic
04/08/2014, 09:30 PM
Anytime electronics let out smoke they can start a fire.

Why is it that every thread about this brand turns into the same stupid rehash thread bashing ecotech? We got it, you made the right choice for you. The only people who care what you buy are trolls.

Because we've had to listen to vortech this or vortech that for years now. so annoying and the fact that they are so expensive is even more annoying.

"my vortech this"
"my vortech that" :headwalls:
"i love my vortechs"
"ohh my vortechs"

Now you guys get to hear "jeabo this and that" :wavehand:

tkeracer619
04/08/2014, 09:33 PM
I once had a power adapter that was supposed to be 5 volts. Was putting out 10x that... cost a few hundred in damages. I run them by the fluke now as a precaution.

Fair enough :lol:

Reefahholic
04/08/2014, 10:05 PM
I once had a power adapter that was supposed to be 5 volts. Was putting out 10x that... cost a few hundred in damages. I run them by the fluke now as a precaution.

Fair enough :lol:

What would happen if you didn't use their standard 5V and went with a 10V?

Would it make the pump stronger or burn my house down? :fun2:

I adapter I'm using now works but has about half the power. Must be like a 2V. I had it around the house and it goes to a computer or printer. It works though.

tkeracer619
04/09/2014, 12:29 AM
It would probably just burn out the motor quicker. I wouldn't risk it.

It may produce a lot of flow until it burned the house down but... i've seen mp60 power supplies plugged into mp40s. Nothing good comes from it. I do however have an early mp10 controller running a mp40 and it must be about 30% more powerful :lol:. I asked them about it, they said I was crazy. They assured me it would melt in spectacular fashion.

Reefahholic
04/09/2014, 01:44 AM
It would probably just burn out the motor quicker. I wouldn't risk it.

It may produce a lot of flow until it burned the house down but... i've seen mp60 power supplies plugged into mp40s. Nothing good comes from it. I do however have an early mp10 controller running a mp40 and it must be about 30% more powerful :lol:. I asked them about it, they said I was crazy. They assured me it would melt in spectacular fashion.

HA...When that adapter blew up, I was frustrated and upset. I love the Jeabo's. I don't care if they're cheaply made. They're worth it to me. I called and found out how cheap that replacement adapter was and was shocked. I like the fact that these things can break completely and to purchase a whole new set isn't very expensive at all.

Today, I'm gonna head over to Fry's Electronics (Huge place with everything imaginable) and bing them the old AC Power adapter and show them the e-mail about the new adapter and see which of the two is more powerful and try to get something real close or a little better. I was getting real good flow from the old one, but maybe I should bump it up just a hair. :D

Hope I don't burn the house down.

Reefahholic
04/09/2014, 02:10 AM
Quick question because i'm not eletricity savy: Why is there 7 voltages for only 4 pumps? How do you know where to set the voltage at? I think mine was set at 18V. It must not be that important if they give you 7 options to choose from.?? I think it may be for if and when you upgraded pumps say from wp10's to wp40's- you could ramp up the power, but wouldn't people try to do that anyway and cause their pumps to break or the controller to burn up? Why would they give the option for you to select it before use if your specific pump can't handle 24 volts and can only handle 12 Volts?

It's weird....when I called about the new adapter charger supply, he said they now have a 5A Which has to have more watts and voltage right? It would be stronger than all of these previous adapters below. So what...they just change the power whenever they want and it doesn't affect performance and cause fire hazards? How do you double the power and not have any issues? He told me it had more power in the email. Wouldn't that decrease the pump life putting more strain on a pump that can't handle the power?

24W 24V 1A AC power adapter charger supply for Jebao WP10 Wave Maker

36W 24V 1.5A AC power adapter charger supply for Jebao WP25 Wave Maker

60W 24V 2.5A AC power adapter charger supply for Jebao WP40 Wave Maker

96W 24V 4A AC power adapter charger supply for Jebao WP60 Wave Maker

THIS IS THE EXACT ONE THAT BLEW UP IN MY HAND NEARLY...

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f236/JaredJHarms/Mobile%20Uploads/6E7B1A8A-FDC1-408D-BEC4-9502BE1A5461.jpg (http://s48.photobucket.com/user/JaredJHarms/media/Mobile%20Uploads/6E7B1A8A-FDC1-408D-BEC4-9502BE1A5461.jpg.html)

Ohh look what I just found: I just don't get it.

This item is only For Jebao WP-40 / WP-25 /WP10/ FS14000 Replacement Pump Opertation Power Supply Only

24/1/2014 If you want upgrade future or have 2 Unit of Jebao Pump, we suppose order our 15V to 24V Power suppy, it can upgrade to our Twins controller!

Our New Twins Power supply can adjustable for 15V to 24V, more flexiable and easy to control with the wp pump. For the Jebao Twins Controller link to 2 Unit of WP Pump is too powerful. If you want it easy to adjust smaller flow, using ourself Design Twin Power Supply is more better!

Specification

Power 110V to 240V Voltage

Single Power Supply - Can Set for 12V /15V /16V /18(18.5V) / 19(19.5V) 20/21V / 24V Voltage for Single (For wp10/wp25/wp40/FS14000 Use)

Twins Power Supply canset for 15V /18V /20V/ 24V for Future upgrade(wp10/wp25/wp40/wp60 x 2unit)

Customer can adjustable to Power Supply voltage on the Pump if too much flow

Reefahholic
04/09/2014, 03:06 AM
I think this one will work great:

•Frys.com #6302531
•Manufacturer: F.C.S.
•UPC #854190000445
•Model #PST-50MS
Detailed Description | Warranty Info
•Model : PST-50MS
•Input : AC 100~240V / 50~60Hz
•DC Output : DC 9.5(9) / 10.5(10) / 12 / 16 / 19 / 20V,2A-3A max.
•Polarity : Always Centre '+'
•Peak Output Power : 50W
•FITS MOST NETBOOKS INCLUDING POPULAR MODELS FROM: ACER, ASUS, LENOVO, DELL, HP/COMPAQ, SAMSUNG, MSI, LG, FUJITSU, TOSHIBA, SONY VAIO TYPE P

bundybear1981
04/09/2014, 03:37 AM
The power supply pictured is a variable power output.
All voltages it is capable of are supported by the pump. The standard supply output 24v dc - this is 100% speed/power.
Reducing the output to a lower v dc slows the pump speed. (I run mine at 16vdc for my wp40) By the sounds of what you said something within the power supply had a short.

Anymore then 24 volt dc output is likely to burn out the pump / controller.

Reefahholic
04/09/2014, 04:23 AM
The power supply pictured is a variable power output.
All voltages it is capable of are supported by the pump. The standard supply output 24v dc - this is 100% speed/power.
Reducing the output to a lower v dc slows the pump speed. (I run mine at 16vdc for my wp40) By the sounds of what you said something within the power supply had a short.

Anymore then 24 volt dc output is likely to burn out the pump / controller.

I think I may have switched the variable output volts before turning the power off. Could that do it?

So if I go to the electronic store, what is the max volts, watts, etc... That I can run on my wp25's with twin controller?