PDA

View Full Version : 55gl set up, anything missing ?

malawi
04/08/2014, 06:31 AM
What's up peeps, I buying the things I need before I start setting up, of course I have my tank, stand, canopy, lighting t5's,200 watt heater, A.C.110 H.O.B., it once was a african cichlids tank...ok now I add on two powerhead 900 marineland,30lbs of dry sand,10 lbs of live sand(1inch bed).40 lbs of dry rock,super actinic blub, poly pads, digital temp, hydrometer, 20 gallons of oceans water.....later on protein skimmer....anything missing..or you guys think I can get started....for as the water goes I was thinking to start of with half ocean water, half synthetic mix from my LFS, then a few pieces of live rock...

stingythingy45
04/08/2014, 06:43 AM
Lots of patience while the tank cycles.

Cymonous
04/08/2014, 06:48 AM
Good test kits. Salifert, RedSea. You may want to eventually get a refractometer.

malawi
04/08/2014, 06:49 AM
Lots of patience while the tank cycles.

O yeah , o by the way I need test kits lol,

thegrun
04/08/2014, 06:50 AM
If you haven't already purchased the heaters I would go with one 100 watt and a second 150 watt heater. When one fails it will be less likely to harm your tank. They tend to stick in the on position which can fry a tank. I would also use a refractometer rather than a swing arm hydrometer, much easier to use and much less likely to give false readings. Also pick up a bottle of calibration fluid. http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/aqua-craft-refractometer-calibration-fluid.html
You are going to need test kits: ammonia, nitrites and nitrates to start. Down the road the list of tests will expand depending upon what you intend to keep in the tank.

scott3569
04/08/2014, 06:51 AM
record keeping, I found a cool site its call aquaticlog.com

malawi
04/08/2014, 06:51 AM
Refractometer later on also

55mixreef8236
04/08/2014, 06:55 AM
I would recommend having 2 heaters. If one decides to quit (which eventually one will) your tank wont freeze and it'll give you time to go to the LFS and get a new one. Also I would get a protine skimmer asap. It helped me clear out the clay in the water from my new sand. I also used instant cycle on my 55 reef and the protine skimmer started pumping out skimmate within 2 days.

malawi
04/08/2014, 06:56 AM
Good test kits. Salifert, RedSea. You may want to eventually get a refractometer.

Im going to purchase RedSea test kit this week..

malawi
04/08/2014, 06:59 AM
I would recommend having 2 heaters. If one decides to quit (which eventually one will) your tank wont freeze and it'll give you time to go to the LFS and get a new one. Also I would get a protine skimmer asap. It helped me clear out the clay in the water from my new sand. I also used instant cycle on my 55 reef and the protine skimmer started pumping out skimmate within 2 days.

Ok I will get me another heater, so two heaters is better than one ? I have 200 watts on one, so how many watts on the other one,, I live in a warm climate., by the way , no water in the tank, should I purchase a protein skimmer before I put water in the tank...

thegrun
04/08/2014, 07:03 AM
I would be worried about the 200 watt heater, if it sticks on it will kill everything in your tank. Two 100 watt heaters would be a much safer way to go. You should also get a good lab grade thermometer to calibrate your digital thermometer and the heaters, all of which are notoriously inaccurate when it comes to temperature readings.

malawi
04/08/2014, 07:09 AM
I would be worried about the 200 watt heater, if it sticks on it will kill everything in your tank. Two 100 watt heaters would be a much safer way to go. You should also get a good lab grade thermometer to calibrate your digital thermometer and the heaters, all of which are notoriously inaccurate when it comes to temperature readings.

Ok thanks I just by me two 100 watts heaters

toku58
04/08/2014, 09:09 AM
I'd consider a Refugium to increase the volume of water and to house Chaeto and all your equiptment. Oh if you are planning to do coral? get yourself a phosphate reactor.
You may also want to consider a wave controller in the future.

My tank is 40 gal. and I'm doing 60 lbs. of live sand, and I ordered 80 lbs. of dry rock, I'll be seeding it with live rock from my LFS. I have another 20 gal. tank being used as a sump.

You'll want to get a quarantine tank later down the line.

malawi
04/08/2014, 12:39 PM
Refugium not happening, going with soft corals,, seeding with live rock, filling with seawater 100% or half seawater half synthetic salt mix from my LFS.

malawi
04/08/2014, 08:51 PM
I decided to start up with a FOWLR tank with deco dead corals, then later on done the road soft corals...if I don't change my mind again, no telling.

malawi
04/09/2014, 07:39 PM
My light came today :) whooo hooo finally.

scott3569
04/09/2014, 07:42 PM
congrats!! what light did you get?

malawi
04/09/2014, 09:18 PM
congrats!! what light did you get?

Marineland t5s double....I have about 20gls of water(real ocean water)..getting a lil expensive,hey can I get the rest of the water,,, synthetic saltwater from my LFS , Im ready to get it up and running 55gl tank..