PDA

View Full Version : Osmolator 3155 Float Switch problem

v10king
04/08/2014, 09:35 AM
I have always used Osmolators on all my tanks, I love them.

I recently picked one up for my new 120g. The eye water level sensor is working fine but the overflow float sensor does not work at all. When the water fills up past the sensor and it floats to the top, I get no noise or high water alarm. Is there something I can check? I really want to have that alarm just in case there is an issue.

Thanks!
Paul

rvitko
04/08/2014, 10:53 AM
I can think of a few possibilities-

1) If you get the red too high light but no audible alarm, the alarm may just be turned off, this is a setting inside and is covered in the manual. It is possible they omitted the jumper that connects the alarm, it was placed on the wrong pins or is loose.

2) The float may be broken, check the float, it should have a black ring inside, sometimes these break and are a C as it has split and folded over. In that case we can send a new float.

3) A magnet near the float is pinning the switch down so it cannot switch. This can also happen if the float is in the wrong position on the magnet holder, it should only be in the larger C clip.

v10king
04/08/2014, 02:11 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. So I know its not point number 1 as it has made noise before. When I Was going to check the o-ring, I moved the magnet up and sort of twisted it and then all of a sudden the float started working again? Whats odd is the float doesnt drop back down automatically, like there is some magnetic field holding it up or something. I dont believe it's mounted wrong.

rvitko
04/08/2014, 03:41 PM
It is definitely a magnet issue.

1) If the glass is very thin it could be the magnet holder itself, you may need to add a shim between the magnet and glass on the outside.

2) If you use both magnet holders and they are right next to each other or another magnet holder is nearby, that could be the cause.

3) The float should be in the large C clip that is only present on one of the magnet holders, the smaller c is for the optic sensor only.

v10king
04/08/2014, 03:55 PM
If I look at the sensor, the eye level sensor is on the right and the float switch sensor is on the right. is that correct? I think it may actually be reversed, from a pic I saw of someone elses.

rvitko
04/08/2014, 04:03 PM
If you are facing the magnet, the float switch is on the left, the optic sensor is on the right.

v10king
04/09/2014, 12:10 AM
Thanks Roger, I had the sensors mounted upside down and it was causing interference with the magnet. I flipped them around and everything is working perfect now. Thank you! Paul

m0nkie
04/24/2014, 07:52 PM
quick install question on positioning the magnet plz! my first time installing this.

The eye sensor on the right clip can be adjusted up and down... so where should I adjust it to?

is this where I should keep my water level? I see videos of water level all the way up to the bottom of the floating sensor (the see through cap)
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/images/Categoryimages/normal/p-81376-fish.jpg

rvitko
04/25/2014, 09:06 AM
It is an adjustment you can use as needed, their is no right or wrong way. It allows you to more precisely set the water level.