PDA

View Full Version : Confused plumbing...

Daniel.DWUW
04/08/2014, 02:24 PM
I'm getting confused over the plumping for my tank. I've almost got everything for my new tank, and now its time for the plumbing.
I have a 33gal display tank and a 13gal sump, I've got a 600gal per hour overflow box, and my return pump is the ehiem compact+ 2000.
Now, I have drawn up some pipe work designs, but don't know what size pipes to use, or which size bulkheads are needed. And also, how do I keep the noise to a minimum?
Im also confused about the size of the hole for a bulkhead, say if I get a 1inch bulkhead, does the hole in the glass have to be 1inch or bigger? :s
Sorry for being a pain :')

Markilles
04/08/2014, 02:48 PM
I would go for 3 1" drains (bean animal) if you have the space its nice and quiet. For return I'd probably go with 3/4. For drilling the holes you do need a bigger hole than what the bulkhead is listed as I'm not to sure what they are but it won't be hard to figure out

Markilles
04/08/2014, 02:51 PM
Just looked it up 3/4 is 35mm and 1" is 42mm

clay12340
04/08/2014, 03:01 PM
Just looked it up 3/4 is 35mm and 1" is 42mm

You should look for the specific bulkheads you're using. It seems as though they vary in hole size requirements. I think BRS bulkheads are 45mm for the 1" sch40, and 48mm for the 1" sch80. I've never used their sch40, but the sch80s fit pretty snug in the 48mm hole. I don't think you'd have 3mm of wiggle room.

Daniel.DWUW
04/09/2014, 11:40 AM
Ohh that's great, at least I know what size pipes I need now. As for bulkheads, I'm not sure where I'm getting mine from, Oh how I wish BRS delivered to the UK... (anyone know where to get all the plumbing online in the uk?)
I've been watching plumbing videos for hours now, I've found most people recommend the Herbie overflow system for an almost silent operation?

qessnce
04/09/2014, 08:42 PM
I have set up two tanks with the triple redundancy beananimal overflow. I won't be doing the same for my next upgrade. Having three 1" standpipes on a <100 gallon tank really takes up quite some real estate, let alone for your 33 gal, unless you plan on using an external overflow. Consider your constraints, and then decide what would work best for you. Good, well planned execution of a herbie style system can best a poorly put together beananimal anyday.

jdstank
04/09/2014, 09:30 PM
Ohh that's great, at least I know what size pipes I need now. As for bulkheads, I'm not sure where I'm getting mine from, Oh how I wish BRS delivered to the UK... (anyone know where to get all the plumbing online in the uk?)
I've been watching plumbing videos for hours now, I've found most people recommend the Herbie overflow system for an almost silent operation?
I was going to do a beananimal but elected for a herbie, simpler and it is dead silent. This site has a nice write up on it. gmacreef.com/herbie-overflow-reef-tank-plumbing-method-basics/

Mine is setup so that my emergency overflow has just a tiny bit running down it at all times. Tank is 18", about 17" is the overflow water line and my primary drain is 9" up from the bottom - always covered, no slurping. Siphon starts on it's own immediately after a pump restart, never have had to adjust the valve but that may be in part due to the depth of water over the main pipe, having almost 8" of water pushing down produces a lot of force compared to just a couple inches.

The only noise is the water that occasionally splashes over the overflow (no teeth - just straight across) due to my wavemaker, but that's nothing to do with the overflow plumbing design. Teeth on the overflow create too much noise for my taste and a beananimal would have had the same occasional lite slushing noise, just par for the course in having a wavemaker with decent waves running to and fro. :thumbsup: I could probably eliminate the waves alltogether going at the overflow with an adjustment to the wavemaker but it's so quiet it doesn't bother anyone including the wife who would be the first to complain if it were too much.

jdstank
04/09/2014, 09:33 PM
Have you tried Ebay for bulkheads? I got my 1 1/2" from there with free shipping, a lot of those places will ship to the UK for a fee....but the cost is lower to start so you'll probably come out ahead anyway.

Just checked and there are some CPR Aquatic built bulkheads on there for $12.70 US for 4 of them, plus shipping to the UK, that's pretty cheap!

Daniel.DWUW
04/12/2014, 05:03 AM
I've found all the fittings I need on eBay, and I think I'm going with the Herbie Overflow system :D Thanks for you help guys!