PDA

View Full Version : Mixing Salt

WhiteTang
04/08/2014, 03:43 PM
Hi guys & girls!

Im about to start my aquarium and I as wondering about the salt mixing process. I will be using Tropic-Marine bio-actif salt.
So I made precise measurements and will be using 35ml salt /litre.
I also have a tropic-marin precise hydrometer that is calibrated at 25°C.

What I will do is first make my RO/DI water, then heat it up to 25°C and then add the salt with a powerhead to dissolve it. When all the salt is dissolved I will take a measurement with the hydrometer.

Has anyone here used tropic-marine bio actif salt? Will I get the right salinity if I follow the instructions closely? Or is it more of a hit and miss process?
Any advice?

davocean
04/08/2014, 03:49 PM
I normally do not heat water, but I get what you are doing, hydrometers can vary w/ temps.
Warm or rather hot water can cause some precipitation of trace elements, you may know this.
Typically I like to mix and let sit a day to help disolve and stabilize, so I don't bring to temp, but then I'm using a refractometer which is not so affected by temps.
I bring to temp just before WC.
If you mix by salt mix instructions, it might be a tad low, some salt brands base their measurement at a lower specific gravity than what we really prefer, ok for fish, not so much for corals.
1.026 is what I mix at.
Hope this helps answer your question.

CoralReeForrest
04/08/2014, 03:58 PM
Hit or miss is the best your going to get with a hydrometer. It is an investment in your enjoyment of this hobby and a good piece or mind to get a refractometer. I've tested my refractometer against two separate hydros and they were both different and were usually off by .02-.05

WhiteTang
04/08/2014, 04:01 PM
Thanx for the reply!
I guess its better to be at lower salinity when making water and later add slowly salt than the other way around. In any case I will probably find out tomorrow myself.
As for the refractometer... I actually bought a D&D refractometer which is supposed to be very good, based on some reviews etc. Then I read the instruction manual and i think it is way more complicated to use than a hydrometer. You actually need to calibrate it from time to time and even use some math when taking measurements depending on the temperature etc..
I returned the thing and did some more research about hydrometers. Turns out the one I got (not cheap) is very precise. Reviews about this specific hydrometer pointed out that if used correctly (bringing water to temp before making a measurement) are very reliable and never ever need calibration.

Mael
04/08/2014, 04:17 PM
until I got my refractometer I used a hydrometer from my home brewing supplies and it was actually quite accurate, I even used both to check salinity for a few weeks and they always matched or were within .001 of each other. I think the swing arm style hydrometer is the one people have problems with being quite innaccurate.

I did calibrate my refract when I got it, instructions said to use distilled water or RODI and to make sure it read 0 with that, then you can test the salinity and I try to keep mine at 1.026

disc1
04/08/2014, 04:26 PM
Hi guys & girls!

Im about to start my aquarium and I as wondering about the salt mixing process. I will be using Tropic-Marine bio-actif salt.
So I made precise measurements and will be using 35ml salt /litre.
I also have a tropic-marin precise hydrometer that is calibrated at 25°C.

What I will do is first make my RO/DI water, then heat it up to 25°C and then add the salt with a powerhead to dissolve it. When all the salt is dissolved I will take a measurement with the hydrometer.

Has anyone here used tropic-marine bio actif salt? Will I get the right salinity if I follow the instructions closely? Or is it more of a hit and miss process?
Any advice?

Dissolve the salt slowly and THEN heat the water. You'll get a clearer mix and less crud in the bottom of the bucket that way.

disc1
04/08/2014, 04:29 PM
And remember when dealing with refractometers and temperature, it is the temp of the refractometer not the temp of the water that matters. As soon as you put that drop on the crystal it won't take long for it to equilibrate with the body of the refrac. You should always allow 15 - 30 seconds before you read. Then when you read it you'll be reading at room temp, or at least the temp of the refractometer and not the temperature of the water in the tank.

johnike
04/08/2014, 04:30 PM
Dissolve the salt slowly and THEN heat the water. You'll get a clearer mix and less crud in the bottom of the bucket that way.

My process as well.

Randy Holmes-Farley
04/08/2014, 05:52 PM
The Tropic Marin Bioactif is one of the mixes that contains organics, so it might "go bad" as it ages. By that I mean the bacteria in the water mix container may consume the organics over time. Whether that is important or not depends on what the organics are (they won't tell last I asked) and whether you want them (up to you). :)