PDA

View Full Version : Foxface Rabbit Fish Phenomenon?

jaketuff
04/09/2014, 08:02 PM
Well...

Wierdest thing I have seen in a while in my tank from my fish...

My foxface, a hearty eater, was eating his broccoli and caviar last night...

Shortly after his fill was achieved I saw him "spitting." Ok, no big deal. But I noticed he spat out a white object, somewhat translucent. After closely looking into the tank I could see it looked to be like his TEETH/jaw plate!!!! It was a "c" shape with jagged edging.

Sooo, he is still routinely swimming today. Parameters are sound... Anyone ever see this before???

Thanks

crvz
04/10/2014, 09:26 AM
Both foxface that I've had have exhibited that "spitting" behavior. The previous one I had did it regularly, and the current one also does it all the time. I do not know what exactly they intend with this behavior, but never have I seen them actually eject anything. Any chance you could get an image of what came out?

accordexi
04/10/2014, 11:25 AM
interesting to see the image as well

Deinonych
04/10/2014, 03:48 PM
I've seen mine spit out shrimp carapaces (I feed Rod's Food), so maybe it was something like that?

jaketuff
04/10/2014, 05:56 PM
I've seen mine spit out shrimp carapaces (I feed Rod's Food), so maybe it was something like that?

I feed him the algae that propagates in the tank, garlic soaked broccoli, and dr g's caviar. I was shocked to see the apparent teeth floating in the water column and didnt snap and pics... which would surely be out of focus anyway.

The object was white/translucent and c shaped with serated edging (teeth).

Deinonych
04/10/2014, 07:56 PM
Very strange. Maybe try to take a close-up shot of the foxface's mouth? I've done that with mine, but I have a macro lens.