PDA

View Full Version : electricity and ground probes

reefkeeper78
04/09/2014, 08:31 PM
In the process of sorting out mysterious fish death and corals that aren't doing well. Through this process I put all my fish into a QT tank. I've still been losing fish over the last few weeks. I noticed on one of the fish tonight that perished, a red line or spot under the scales. I then thought of fish rot or the mysterious hole that fish get when exposed to electricity.

Measured the voltage in the QT and found 48 volts. I had an extra ground probe laying around and installed it, the voltage dropped to 0.0 volts. It then occurred to me about electrolysis.

If the probe had been installed prior to the discovery of the leaking voltage, is it possible for the probe to degrade due to electrolysis and then pollute the water with heavy metals?

I think of this due to the experience I have with automobiles and the effect that electrolysis has on the engine if the cooling system isn't flushed regularly. I do know that electrolysis has a faster effect on a DC system versus AC systems but AC will still cause erosion too, it just takes longer.

Randy Holmes-Farley
04/10/2014, 05:01 PM
What was the probe made of?

bif24701
04/10/2014, 07:46 PM
In the process of sorting out mysterious fish death and corals that aren't doing well. Through this process I put all my fish into a QT tank. I've still been losing fish over the last few weeks. I noticed on one of the fish tonight that perished, a red line or spot under the scales. I then thought of fish rot or the mysterious hole that fish get when exposed to electricity.

Measured the voltage in the QT and found 48 volts. I had an extra ground probe laying around and installed it, the voltage dropped to 0.0 volts. It then occurred to me about electrolysis.

If the probe had been installed prior to the discovery of the leaking voltage, is it possible for the probe to degrade due to electrolysis and then pollute the water with heavy metals?

I think of this due to the experience I have with automobiles and the effect that electrolysis has on the engine if the cooling system isn't flushed regularly. I do know that electrolysis has a faster effect on a DC system versus AC systems but AC will still cause erosion too, it just takes longer.

how did you measure the voltage? kind of meter? what ground did you use?

alton
04/10/2014, 08:10 PM
Remove all internal ac pumps and add lenses to your lights or glass tops. Stray voltage goes alway

reefkeeper78
04/14/2014, 09:07 PM
Probe is made of titanium and I measured the voltage with a blue point digital multimeter on the AC voltage ssetting. Measured the votage by inserting a lead in the ground portion of the outlet and the water.

HVAC Guy
04/14/2014, 09:32 PM
Titanium and stainless are ok. Anything softer wouldn't work. However, there should be no voltage or your GFI would trip. Assuming you have a gfi in use, if not you should.