PDA

View Full Version : Bucket remote deep sand bed removal?

buffalo123
04/10/2014, 06:11 AM
I've been running a RDSB for a few years 3-5yrs. I notice hair algae growth although the nitrate read 0. My guess is phosphates from the sand in the rdsb is released into the reef. The phosphates accumulated over the years. Although its not an unmanageable problem with the hair algae i still would like it to be gone. I wanted to know what can i expect when i remove my RDSB , its been a long time since i've gone without one.
So far i've change my RO filters all of them, change my lighting (bulb). I do weekly water changes and i run phosguard. So i narrowed it down to the RDSB releasing phosphates. What the experience of those who remove RDSB what was your experience?

tufkab
04/10/2014, 06:42 AM
What are your phosphate levels at ?

ca1ore
04/10/2014, 06:44 AM
Are you able to measure phosphate, or are you just inferring that it is the RDSB? If the former, are you getting phosphate now, but did not previously? My sense is that if you remove the RDSB, you will see nothing change. IMO, while elevated phosphate/nitrate levels can encourage algae growth, managing nutrients as the sole form of algae control is a myth. One still needs grazers.

buffalo123
04/10/2014, 08:48 AM
Tested this morning the reading is .12 . Yes you maybe right i don't have many grazers.