PDA

View Full Version : Help Identify what my mandarin has?

Neptune 555
04/10/2014, 04:10 PM

Can you help me identify what the white spot is on my Mandarin? He has a small white spot on his left side and one his is left eye. It does not look like Ich to me but I am unclear what this is? He is QT now and I am deciding my treatment protocol now w/ your help. He has been in Qt for 1 week + and I added Cheato w/ pods and have ordered pods to supplement during Tank Transfer process.

Neptune

triggreef
04/10/2014, 05:19 PM
That could be ich, or a grain of sand or detritus stuck to him. Hard enough to tell in person let alone in a photo.

As far as TT method, you have a few things to think about with the chaeto. Where did the fish come from? Did you pull it out of an infected display? Where is the chaeto coming from? Is the chaeto out of an infected display? So everytime you intro "new" chaeto you could be introducing new ich.

Unless it comes from a system without fish or one that everything has been properly qt'd in and free of parasites, I would not trust it.

I do like the TT method and would otherwise suggest it, but you have to think about those issues. Ich can cyst onto any hard surface, not just rocks sand or glass.

Also as always, don't forget to mix your salt water well ahead of time, as you can burn the fishes gills with newly mixed water.

Deinonych
04/10/2014, 06:21 PM
+1 to what Triggreef stated. I would keep an eye on the mandarin and be prepared to take action. You'll know soon enough if you're dealing with Crypto.

You might try getting the fish to eat Nutramar Ova while in QT so you don't have to keep supplying it with 'pods. Definitely will be helpful if you do have to treat.

MrTuskfish
04/10/2014, 06:58 PM

Can you help me identify what the white spot is on my Mandarin? He has a small white spot on his left side and one his is left eye. It does not look like Ich to me but I am unclear what this is? He is QT now and I am deciding my treatment protocol now w/ your help. He has been in Qt for 1 week + and I added Cheato w/ pods and have ordered pods to supplement during Tank Transfer process.

Neptune

The spots are on the left side, the pic is of the right side. Hard to tell anything.

Newsmyrna80
04/10/2014, 07:28 PM
How long gave you had him? Are you treating any other fish for ich?

Neptune 555
04/10/2014, 07:37 PM
Thanks for the feedback... OK so I have had the Mandarin for 2 weeks... in QT. I added in the the QT tank cheato that is not from a source that I could say is ich free... it is from a coral display with sea horses in it... So I would assume it has ich. I had planned to feed him copapods from a bottle during this timeframe however I was unable to locate a source after I purchases the fish... I had thought adding live rock from my ich free tank full of copapods would be enough however from my observations on the glass my Live Rock from display tank did not adequately offer enough food.

YES I have been struggling to determine if this is ich or just detritus from the tank? I had thought that I would QT the mandarin and then decide if to treat or not. After reading in DETAIL the TT method... I think this is the path I want to go however I struggle with how to feed the mandarin in this process? I am making a new batch of brine shrimp in hopes he eats that while in TT process. I also have Cyclopeez (sp?) but I am not sure he is eating this?

SUGGESTIONS on how to feed a mandarin in TT method is welcome. I am determined to have ich free tanks and DT has been fallow for 3+ months at this point and I am sure... I have no ich at this point.

Neptune

Neptune 555
04/11/2014, 07:00 AM
and my bad.. the white spot is on the right side... I can see it in the photo.. and the right eye has some cloudy white spot to it? Is this is ich or something else? i am going to start TT today.. and then treat with prazi. I have found copapods on line that I will try to feed him during this process. I can't locate Nutramar ova? I will also be making brine shrimp. Other suggestions?

neptune