PDA

View Full Version : Can fish (clowns) get full on pods?

shermanator
04/10/2014, 05:53 PM
Ever since I moved my two ocellaris clowns from QT to DT, they have not been eating their food I give them. It's been three days now. In QT they ate like crazy. They are the only fish in there right now and I turn off all pumps etc for feeding.

It does look like they are eating pods (of which I have a ton coming from the fuge). Are they getting full on pods and not eating their "meals"? Or should I be concerned?

Thanks!

shermanator
04/11/2014, 07:37 AM
Anyone have experience with this? They still would not eat what I gave them this morning. They are rejecting everything they devoured while in QT. I hope they don't become reliant on pods, because I'm not sure I have enough to sustain them at the moment.

thegrun
04/11/2014, 08:07 AM
It's probably a combination of adjusting the new tank (reduced appetite) and them finding enough pods to satisfy their diet. When they get hungry they will eat. What are you trying to feed them?

shermanator
04/11/2014, 08:15 AM
What are you trying to feed them?

A variety of foods they seemed to love in QT: mysis, arctipods, ON small pellets, NLS flake, Rod's Food. I try to mix it up and offer them food 2-3 times a day. The only thing they had in QT they have not been offered is the medicated foods (Dr. G's caviar) because I don't want to kill the inverts. I'm going to get some non-medicated caviar from Dr. G's because they loved the medicated stuff. Actually, they loved everything in QT. I could not believe how much two little clowns ate...

They seem very happy in the DT. I'm hoping they will adjust soon and if they are eating pods, they won't become dependent upon them.

stingythingy45
04/11/2014, 08:20 AM
They're adjusting to the new environment.
Give it time,they'll come around to eating again.

BTW,I have never seen a clown eat pods.
Maybe just never caught one in the act or it's just not big on their diets.

davocean
04/11/2014, 09:48 AM
I see this a lot w/ clowns adjusting to new tanks/params, patience.

shermanator
04/11/2014, 11:52 AM
I see this a lot w/ clowns adjusting to new tanks/params, patience.

Good to know, thanks.

They adapted so well to the QT (were gobbling food instantly) that it caught me off guard they would not also adapt quick to the DT (which is, parameter wise, the exact same as the QT -- QT is cycled and gets water from DT when DT's water is changed). They are the only fish right now, but maybe all of the inverts are causing them concern...

I'll keep offering them small amounts of food until they decide to take it. If nothing else, the shrimp and snails are totally loving it.