PDA

View Full Version : "Reefcycling"

sharkfinsean
04/11/2014, 10:09 AM
Hello,
My name is Sean. I have a 30 gallon reef tank that has been happily thriving for a little over a year now. I want to talk about something I thought of this morning, I'm going to call it "Reefcycling" and what it means is buying a fish as a baby/ juvenile that will grow to a size that is larger than your tank will handle and after a year or so and "reefcycle" it to another hobbyist before it outgrows your tank. What do you guys think, is this a good idea? If so, would it be worth it depending on the fish (how fast it grows/ how fast its tank requirements will change)? Would this allow the nano tank keepers to keep tangs, batfish, triggers for a period of time without being harmful to the fish? If you guys like my idea, I am thinking of buying a rather small Kole tang or some other tang. Does anyone like the concept?
Thanks in advance for your input!
~Sean

makxc50099
04/11/2014, 10:38 AM
Tangs not only out grow the tanks but they need room to swim. That is another reason why they need larger tanks. There are many good posts on tangs and tank sizes on here. I would post some but I'm on my phone now.

sharkfinsean
04/11/2014, 12:33 PM
How long would it take for a 2 inch tang to outgrow a 30 gallon tank? Would this work with other large species of fish that start small?

Mark9
04/11/2014, 12:48 PM
How long would it take for a 2 inch tang to outgrow a 30 gallon tank? Would this work with other large species of fish that start small?

Usually, nothing good becomes of discussions like this.
Just better to not put a fish that you know will outgrow a tank, into the tank.

Dmorty217
04/12/2014, 09:16 AM
Not a great practice that you are describing. More times then not the fish out grows your aquarium with np new home to go to or hobbiest to be found. Buy for what you currently have, not what you hope to have in a yr or so.