PDA

View Full Version : Sunlight Supply Maristar Metal Halide / T5 Combo fixture ?

ClownBubbaJoe
04/11/2014, 03:29 PM
Hey everyone, I've never had a halide system, as back in the 90's I used VHO's and now LED's. I have the opportunity to buy this very nice condition used system for $200, but have some question's first. It's the 3' model.

Will need to support sps's, lps's, clams etc. Which is no problem with this unit.

Looks like it has been discontinued from the manufacturer, so can I still get parts ?

Will most halide and T5 bulbs work ?

It comes with a hanging system, so that's how I would plan to use it.

The main reason I did not like halide's, is having to use a chiller. I assume,......with this lighting I would not,.....need a chiller ?

Please advise me with your advise, comments and pro's and con's. Although it's a good price, should I stick with LED's ?

Here's the ad-

"I have a 36 inch Sunlight Supply Maristar Lighting fixture for growing saltwater corals. It has 2-250w metal halide lights and 2 T5 actinic lights, it has dual cooling fans, and a dual ballast. Bulbs are only 8 months old and everything works excellent! It is in like brand new condition
$200"

sirreal63
04/11/2014, 04:27 PM
What size tank do you have?

ClownBubbaJoe
04/11/2014, 06:46 PM
Two 40's, one 55 and a 75.

sirreal63
04/11/2014, 07:01 PM
It would be a great fit for the 75.

Bulbs will be standard, either SE or DE, and it is easy if DE, SE needs proper ballast, unless they are electronic ballasts, then it won't matter. T5 bulbs are standard fitment, length is the important part. There is no way to know if you will need a chiller, it will depend on the rest of the setup, but with a fixture, heat management is easy. I doubt you will need a chiller. It is a pretty good price for an excellent fixture.

ClownBubbaJoe
04/11/2014, 08:03 PM
What's the difference's between the SE or DE, and the ballast's ?

sirreal63
04/11/2014, 08:16 PM
Single Ended bulb or Double Ended bulb, not interchangeable. This may be a good read for you.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-03/sj/index.php

grigsy
04/11/2014, 10:03 PM
Here's the ad-

"I have a 36 inch Sunlight Supply Maristar Lighting fixture for growing saltwater corals. It has 2-250w metal halide lights and 2 T5 actinic lights, it has dual cooling fans, and a dual ballast. Bulbs are only 8 months old and everything works excellent! It is in like brand new condition
$200"

$200??

That's a steal!

That is a good lighting system complete with good reflectors with bulbs and ballasts included. You can keep anything thriving in your reef tank, especially SPS, with a nice great shimmer effect - and with the right MH & T5 bulbs incredible color.

It should last for years.

Great bargain. Get it!

ClownBubbaJoe
04/12/2014, 06:26 PM
Just bought it. Should be a great system.