PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever use a PreSkimmer/Bubble Trap on their BakPak?

inurmind
04/11/2014, 09:30 PM
I've been tired of my micro bubbles in my corner tank for a while now but I'm thinking of rescaping and wanted to get everyones opinion who's had one of these on their bakpak.

I like the overflow aspect of the pre skimmer. I recently I had a nem on the move and awoke to its foot covering most of the mj intake (not the one from past posts-thanks guys though). Now I know that's not a guarantee of anything getting in the pre box but I figure it might help. I also like the idea of covering the equipment on the back wall.

Thoughts on, or any issues had? All is welcome...

davocean
04/11/2014, 09:44 PM
Years ago I did, it made a little less bubbles, but not enough for me.
I hated my bakpak, especially after I got a better skimmer and realized how bad it was.
Might want to look into a Tunze if you are stuck w/ HO gear.

inurmind
04/11/2014, 09:59 PM
Thanks Dave, funny I've had more interaction with you recently on here then our local_

What Tunze you suggesting? I don't have room for the skimmer in system.

Also trying to keep on a budget. If I was gonna go for it I'd just drill and set up a sump- but I just want to redo some rock work and figured now would be the time for a mod on the skimmer...have other mods for that tank in the works too.

AcroporAddict
04/11/2014, 10:26 PM
They still make Bak-paks? Wow, that must one of the longest running skimmer models. I owned one of these back in 1995 I believe.

RLM60
04/11/2014, 10:37 PM
the prefilter box won't help you with micro bubbles. I used to use one years ago. Another good hang on skimmer is the reef octopus.

wonrib00
04/12/2014, 02:44 AM
I used the eShopps HOB with the prefilter. I can't remember which prefilter I used, there were two available when I was running my HOB, CPR and someone else. I used the one that was one large unit, and it worked well. I would never run another HOB without a prefilter.

inurmind
04/13/2014, 09:11 PM
So no one has had any issues with them? What about keeping the water level uber consistent?

christopherjudd
04/13/2014, 11:47 PM
I use the pre skimmer, no issues. Water level has to be perfect unless you want to keep adjusting it. I never really have problems with micro bubbles..I use Rio 800 pump

wonrib00
04/17/2014, 06:44 PM
It has a notch on the right side at the top, and a piece of foam to stop critters from getting in there. There are also two little holes on the backside to allow more water in. Depending on the size of your tank and the rate of evaporation, the preskimmer may need to be adjusted more or less.