PDA

View Full Version : What kind of coral si this??

Raquiros
04/13/2014, 06:40 PM
Anyone can identify it?

ReeferBill
04/13/2014, 07:00 PM
Looks like tightly closed palys,,,, commonly nown as button polyps! Check your water with your test kits and post readings.

Raquiros
04/13/2014, 07:35 PM
Looks like tightly closed palys,,,, commonly nown as button polyps! Check your water with your test kits and post readings.

I just brought that tiny little rock from my LFS.... Just added it to my aquarium...

My salinity is 1.023 with PH 8.0, they should recover soon perhaps..

johnike
04/13/2014, 07:38 PM
Did the LFS that sold it to you tell you what it was, and how to care for it by any chance?
That would have been awful nice of them.

Raquiros
04/13/2014, 07:49 PM
Did the LFS that sold it to you tell you what it was, and how to care for it by any chance?
That would have been awful nice of them.

Of course they didn't... the rock came with a small fragment of xenia which is what I actually purchased, but the xenia felt off the rock and then I noticed that...

Perhaps you could help me identifying it and with the care instructions?

Raquiros
04/13/2014, 09:46 PM
Update: The artinic lights just turned on and it looks like my new
very shy friends glows from the inside..

Should I expect them to open? How long would it take?

Raquiros
04/14/2014, 09:52 AM
Any?

jbmills78
04/14/2014, 06:16 PM
I think they'll open up. Probably a couple of days if not a week. The Xenia that fell off the rock is going to show up in some interesting places soon.

~J

Raquiros
04/26/2014, 11:00 PM
So looks like they finally opened, can we tell for sure what kind is it?

Should I expect more polyp development or growth or they're on its final stage?

Thanks!

RA
04/27/2014, 04:57 AM
You should bring your salinity up to 1.025. It is also important to measure alk than Ph. Your Ph will vary hourly depending on your lighting schedule.

speedyron
04/27/2014, 05:04 AM
looks palythoa

speedyron
04/27/2014, 05:06 AM
they are fast growers probably double in two months

NanoReefWanabe
04/27/2014, 01:47 PM
they look like zoas tome…i can't tell if the stalks are grainy or not in any of the pics…if the stalks have grains of calcium in them then they are palys otherwise they are zoas..

essentially the same animal, and both will grow in a wide variety of locations in your tank from low to high light and low to high flow..if they don't have enough light they will essentially stretch to get more…at that point move them up..

Raquiros
04/28/2014, 04:21 PM
they look like zoas tome…i can't tell if the stalks are grainy or not in any of the pics…if the stalks have grains of calcium in them then they are palys otherwise they are zoas..

essentially the same animal, and both will grow in a wide variety of locations in your tank from low to high light and low to high flow..if they don't have enough light they will essentially stretch to get more…at that point move them up..

So you're telling me that if I avoid the direct light to the polyps rock they will grow faster?

Bodnaahh
04/28/2014, 05:14 PM
+1 for zoanthids (sorry for double post)

Bodnaahh
04/28/2014, 05:21 PM
+1 on being Zoanthids

and negative on removing them from direct light for them to grow faster.

They might get marginally longer trying to "strain" towards the light but look at your biggest individual there and that's realistically as big as they get. They grow by just multiplying themselves (for the most part). So you will just see more of them.

NanoReefWanabe
04/30/2014, 05:16 PM
no they will not grow faster….some grow in low light some in high…most will greatly appreciate lots of light…if they are not getting enough light they will stretch for more…if they start doing this then move them to more light…as mentioned the size of the actual polyp is pretty much determined by the type of polyp…some grow as large as dollar coins some as small as the eraser of a pencil

Nanook
05/03/2014, 08:06 PM
[moved]