PDA

View Full Version : Red Sea Max S 500/650

Leon1972
04/14/2014, 12:19 AM
I am looking at either the 500 or 650. I am concerned about water flow though. The website claims the ability to keep the most demanding corals out the gate but it doesn't seem to have very good water circulation except for at the top. What do those of you that own one think? Did you have to add additional power heads?

Aaaron
04/14/2014, 07:08 AM
Don't waste your money, go a different route. I honestly looked at these and found them very cheap for the money they are charging for them. Just saying, I am sure someone else can chime in on a better all in one solution. Just looked at them online again, you could build something amazingly better for less money.

Leon1972
04/14/2014, 07:11 AM
Your forgetting the wife factor. And I like the convenience of the all in one and it is the only true all in one

Aaaron
04/14/2014, 07:25 AM
Sorry what's the Wife Factor have to do with it? I have a wife as well and don't know what that is.

meshwheel
04/14/2014, 07:40 AM
His wife WEAR DA PANTS in the family...............................

Aaaron
04/14/2014, 08:23 AM
I get that but a dollar bill is a dollar bill. I think for that money he could do so much better, and build it his way.

Drae
04/14/2014, 01:54 PM
I am looking at either the 500 or 650. I am concerned about water flow though. The website claims the ability to keep the most demanding corals out the gate but it doesn't seem to have very good water circulation except for at the top. What do those of you that own one think? Did you have to add additional power heads?

For $5,500 I would piece my own tank together and it would kill their package. It would be tight but because I would DIY the stand and sump it would work on that budget for a 150-180 gallon tank.
Tank-$750-1,200
Sump $200-250 (DIY)
Stand- +/-$300 (DIY)
Lights ATI SUNPOWER ($800) w/bulbs
Skimmer- aquamaxx cone 5 $600
Return pump flu val sp6 $250 ( run reactors also)
Flow tunze 6105 x2 6095x2 $1200 $$$$$$$! I know. ( save with used though)
Reactors 2x aquamaxx XL $200
Apex full controller $500
Total $5,400 for a tank that would grow sps no problem anywhere in the tank ( skills not included)
You would also save a bunch on quality used equipment obviously but you get the idea. Jmo

Leon1972
04/14/2014, 02:51 PM
His wife WEAR DA PANTS in the family...............................

She doesnt wear the pants. Its called smarts and diplomacy. At least for me. I hold off on the super huge tank will all the equip haging out for now. In six years when we move to the house were actually going to live in I get a 500 gallon in wall DT she has no say over.
I also get a 50k home theater room budget.
like I said, diplomacy.:dance:

Leon1972
04/14/2014, 02:54 PM
For $5,500 I would piece my own tank together and it would kill their package. It would be tight but because I would DIY the stand and sump it would work on that budget for a 150-180 gallon tank.
Tank-$750-1,200
Sump $200-250 (DIY)
Stand- +/-$300 (DIY)
Lights ATI SUNPOWER ($800) w/bulbs
Skimmer- aquamaxx cone 5 $600
Return pump flu val sp6 $250 ( run reactors also)
Flow tunze 6105 x2 6095x2 $1200 $$$$$$$! I know. ( save with used though)
Reactors 2x aquamaxx XL $200
Apex full controller $500
Total $5,400 for a tank that would grow sps no problem anywhere in the tank ( skills not included)
You would also save a bunch on quality used equipment obviously but you get the idea. Jmo

thats where we differ. That I dont have diy skills. None at all. Add about 1500 to your total cost due to those two Iitems. Ive priced it out. Its much less for me to go the all in one route. I can afford it and its easier and ive read lots of really good things about the red sea all in one.

Drae
04/14/2014, 03:06 PM
thats where we differ. That I dont have diy skills. None at all. Add about 1500 to your total cost due to those two Iitems. Ive priced it out. Its much less for me to go the all in one route. I can afford it and its easier and ive read lots of really good things about the red sea all in one.

I hear you. Nothing wrong with the red sea imo but the skimmer, bulbs, and internal flow needs replacing. Other than that my suggestion is just my preference and opinion.

Leon1972
04/14/2014, 03:10 PM
I may add additional flow at the bottom but for now at keast im going to leave the lighting and skimmer. Just because its not led doesnt mean I feel it needs replacing. T5s are fine in my opinion.

BlueFyre
04/14/2014, 03:22 PM
Its a Nice system IMO. I've been looking into one for a while but it doesn't match my living room. Most people that have them are really happy with the system. I have no DIY skills as well. I just love how clean the whole set up looks. For flow I would get it set up and see how it works for you. If you want more flow then add it.

meshwheel
04/14/2014, 03:31 PM
Leon,
Just bustin your chops man!!! I own the RedSea Max 130D. For its small size its very nicely built. RedSea is a top notch company and I use all their products. They make good stuff and have gotten even better the last few years.
Their RedSea T5 bulbs are nice. They are made in Germany as well by one of the leading T5 bulb manufacturers over there.
Their tanks are well thought out and designed. I dont think you would be disappointed at all............

Leon1972
04/14/2014, 05:19 PM
Leon,
Just bustin your chops man!!! I own the RedSea Max 130D. For its small size its very nicely built. RedSea is a top notch company and I use all their products. They make good stuff and have gotten even better the last few years.
Their RedSea T5 bulbs are nice. They are made in Germany as well by one of the leading T5 bulb manufacturers over there.
Their tanks are well thought out and designed. I dont think you would be disappointed at all............

I figured u were uust giving me a hard time. How do you feel they do on their water flow. Do you feel its eniugh or does it need to be added too.

Leon1972
04/14/2014, 05:23 PM
Its a Nice system IMO. I've been looking into one for a while but it doesn't match my living room. Most people that have them are really happy with the system. I have no DIY skills as well. I just love how clean the whole set up looks. For flow I would get it set up and see how it works for you. If you want more flow then add it.

I need to figure it out before I get it setup. It is a clean and cord free DT. I dont want to ruin thst with pumps n stucf so if I do add to the flow it will be selfmade Deadrock thst will hide pvc thst will provide the flow to keep the clesn look. So if I run out and buy 150lb of LR then ive wasted a ton of money.

meshwheel
04/14/2014, 06:55 PM
Leon,
They are really good on the flow. As a matter of fact, the 130D had more then adequate flow. 10x plus per hour! The skimmer was not all that hot, but the flow going to it was so darn high, it did not really matter!
The tanks are overbuilt! The quality is excellent. The light are great, even for SPS they are pretty good. They are German bulbs(made by Geissman or ATI) I think Geissman. They are great bulbs and the par numbers are excellent.
The all in one power center and one cord for plug in is awesome! They do have alot of nice features.
The RedSea stuff is nice. Their test kits are excellent, and their additives are excellent as well.
They are a top notch company and I love them! ANY problems with anything and they will send you out replacements at no extra charge. They take very good care of their customers!
It's a neat and clean set up! You will love it!

mjoener
04/18/2014, 10:53 AM
I'm also looking into getting one. My LFS has the 650 set up in store and has been running it since like Nov '12. Everything is growing out of control! I've owned the 130, upgraded the skimmer and added some koralias, but that was back in like 06-08. I upgraded to the 250 for a couple years, skimmer worked well, added flow, but just cause I like me some gadgets!

The LFS doesn't have any flow issues that I can see. They also do not supplement the flow with anything, which really surprised me. They do run a chiller though, but I'm thinking that is because it's in the shop and we all know some of those stores are pretty hot!

Reefer54
04/18/2014, 11:01 AM
Leon,
They are really good on the flow. As a matter of fact, the 130D had more then adequate flow. 10x plus per hour! The skimmer was not all that hot, but the flow going to it was so darn high, it did not really matter!
The tanks are overbuilt! The quality is excellent. The light are great, even for SPS they are pretty good. They are German bulbs(made by Geissman or ATI) I think Geissman. They are great bulbs and the par numbers are excellent.
The all in one power center and one cord for plug in is awesome! They do have alot of nice features.
The RedSea stuff is nice. Their test kits are excellent, and their additives are excellent as well.
They are a top notch company and I love them! ANY problems with anything and they will send you out replacements at no extra charge. They take very good care of their customers!
It's a neat and clean set up! You will love it!

10x per hour is not much at all. you should really shoot for a minimum of 20x per hour, no matter what corals you intend on keeping. Almost always, extra powerheads are a must to get the turnover rate to that amount. I personally believe that 20x turnover through the sump is good practice too.

I too agree that you could do a lot better for that money than the AIO. a nicer stand, nicer components, etc. but you were really ONLY asking about flow in your OP.

good luck. have fun

Reefer54
04/18/2014, 11:06 AM
I'm also looking into getting one. My LFS has the 650 set up in store and has been running it since like Nov '12. Everything is growing out of control! I've owned the 130, upgraded the skimmer and added some koralias, but that was back in like 06-08. I upgraded to the 250 for a couple years, skimmer worked well, added flow, but just cause I like me some gadgets!

The LFS doesn't have any flow issues that I can see. They also do not supplement the flow with anything, which really surprised me. They do run a chiller though, but I'm thinking that is because it's in the shop and we all know some of those stores are pretty hot!

The LFS has success with this tank because they tend it, not because they opened the box, plugged it in, and poof! there's ideal environmental conditions. I would be skeptical of the flow not being modified, like that chiller.....adds flow most likely. i would be one to guess they have changed out the return pump at a minimum

2000se
04/18/2014, 02:11 PM
I'm just repeating what my lfs stated when I inquired about one...

"We used to have a client with a few in his house that wanted us to maintain them. We dropped him after several months because the maintanance was difficult to keep up with"

Again.. take with a grain of salt. Also, if you like shimmer I don't think you'll get it with T5's only.

I will also say the glass is very nice in them and they do look good at the lfs.. I've seen a few setup. I just like shimmer and the sizes they have will not fit where I'm putting my tank.

Leon1972
04/18/2014, 03:23 PM
Thank you all for the input.

Leon1972
04/18/2014, 03:24 PM
10x per hour is not much at all. you should really shoot for a minimum of 20x per hour, no matter what corals you intend on keeping. Almost always, extra powerheads are a must to get the turnover rate to that amount. I personally believe that 20x turnover through the sump is good practice too.

I too agree that you could do a lot better for that money than the AIO. a nicer stand, nicer components, etc. but you were really ONLY asking about flow in your OP.

good luck. have fun

It definitely has more than 10x turnover rater rate

Leon1972
04/18/2014, 03:26 PM

How big is the chiller compartment? I'm wanting to put a dorm room fridge in there for auto feeding if it would fit. If not I'm going to put it in a cabinet net to tht tank.

meshwheel
04/18/2014, 05:38 PM
Leon,
4-6 times total turnover per hour is plenty. 10 times is pushing it in my opinion. It's loud, messy and you just dont need it. The new needle wheel skimmer are very efficient. Add a powerhead or two thats adjustable and your good to go.