PDA

View Full Version : Fishless Tank?

Mark Bianco
04/14/2014, 05:39 AM
Been in the hobby many years and always had reef tanks. Due to job requirements, I am thinking of going fishless. I have an ato and auto water change system, along with the Apex controlling everything. However I have to have someone over everyday to feed.

Is it possible to keep a coral system without fish? In other words with the correct equipment is it possible to have a system without intervention for up to two weeks?

Thanks in advance

Mark

IanWR
04/14/2014, 06:01 AM
It's possible to have fish as well using an automatic fish feeder. I know apex has one. 2 weeks can be a long time w/o someone checking in, but so long as you have monitors on many things you should be fine. I might put a float sensor in the skimmer cup to shut it off if it gets full, and have a leak detector. Hopefully you have someone who could come in a pinch if something goes sideways. :)

username in use
04/14/2014, 06:20 AM
Yes it is possible. You would want a controller on the system that is internet ready and can alert you to a problem, then you can have someone stop by. I would still recommend putting an auto feeder on the tank and dropping a small amount of fish food in maybe once a week or every few days just to keep some food floating around for the corals, crabs and snails.

breederforlife
04/14/2014, 06:21 AM
If you want a fishless tank well i ve seen a few and they are really nice and tend to be easier to manage. You could leave your tank for a couple of days but two weeks would be too much without any check up from anyone.
But if there's an emergengy and you need to leave the tank alone for two weeks just make sure your apex is working fine and hope everything is good when you come back.

lnevo
04/14/2014, 06:21 AM
Daily feeding is far from necessary (for many species). Autofeeder is fine otherwise.

freezetyle
04/14/2014, 08:58 AM
Yes it is possible. You would want a controller on the system that is internet ready and can alert you to a problem, then you can have someone stop by. I would still recommend putting an auto feeder on the tank and dropping a small amount of fish food in maybe once a week or every few days just to keep some food floating around for the corals, crabs and snails.

I agree with this fully. You still will need to add some form of nutrients to the tank. Food in an auto feeder as suggested or some sort of amino/zeo supplement.