PDA

View Full Version : Bleaching green digitata- toxins?

Postyoa28
04/14/2014, 09:53 AM
Hey all,

I have a 10 gallon nano tank in my office. Mostly softies (zoas, green star polyps, colts, toadstools, mushrooms) a couple of heads of LPS torch coral, and one last SPS green digitata. I had quite a few sps but lost them late last fall due to a power outage over the weekend. The tank rebounded and is now doing quite well.

Last Thursday I went and fragged a bunch of my zoas. I left it over the weekend and this morning when I came in the digitata had bleached and lost about half of it's tissue. I believe its most likely from some of the toxins being released from the agitated zoas. I ran the skimmer heavy and wet over the weekend and put in new carbon filter media. All the other corals look fine with wall polyps and tentacles extended. The only issue seems to be the digi.

Any way to save the digitata? I can't remove it from the rockwork as there is only a small amount left. I paid 5 dollars for the frag originally so no big loss here, but would prefer to keep it.

Thanks.

sahin
04/16/2014, 05:30 PM
Possibly toxins...or it could even be the slime released or that which came from the internals of the Zoa as you cut them has landed on the Monti and killed those parts. Monti's are much tougher than acros and can withstand worse parameters...since you fragged the Zoas that could be the reason.

You can run a little carbon (GAC) to mop up the toxins and carry out a water change.

Oldude
04/16/2014, 06:16 PM
possibly toxins...or it could even be the slime released or that which came from the internals of the zoa as you cut them has landed on the monti and killed those parts. Monti's are much tougher than acros and can withstand worse parameters...since you fragged the zoas that could be the reason.

You can run a little carbon (gac) to mop up the toxins and carry out a water change.

+1