PDA

View Full Version : long stringy feces

salajander
04/14/2014, 01:49 PM
Noticed a long string of feces hanging off our tail spot blenny for the second time since he moved to the display tank a month or so back.

I'm guessing it's some sort of internal parasite?

I decided to dose the display tank with PraziPro for good measure, as everything I've read indicates it's safe.

I'm a little concerned because of all the tiny feather duster worms that have been happily growing on my back wall (Serpulidae?) probably won't be happy, but I guess this is what I get for not dosing Prazi during QT.

I also dosed the three PJ cardinals I have in QT as well.

kouma
04/14/2014, 03:58 PM
PraziPro most probably will not work for stringy long poop. I had the same issue, use a combination of MetroPlex + Focus by Seachem in the food for up to ten days or until poop is back to normal; whichever is less.

salajander
04/14/2014, 08:28 PM
Oh yeah? Will watch to see if the prazi works and will look into metro+focus if not.

triggreef
04/16/2014, 12:05 AM
My new favorite is paracide-d. I have had luck with metro as well. But I've never really had a good experience with prazi.

Reefer54
04/16/2014, 12:08 AM
FWIW, i found my angel to have stringy poop when primarily being fed pellet. if i mix it up a good bit and offer brine, mysid, live foods, the poop strings go away....my point being that i thought it had a parasite as well, but it only has string poop when being fed primarily pellet. perhaps its the diet....just saying, if it aint broke, dont fix it.

salajander
04/25/2014, 01:20 PM
Still has some stringy feces after the Prazi. Naturally, the first time we notice it was a few hours after we moved three PJ cards from the QT to the DT.

Are Paracide-D/X and Metro safe for a display tank? It's going to be a bear to try to catch the tailspot, and now that the PJ cards are in with it, they may need treatment.

Current known occupants: 1 tailspot blenny, 3 PJ cardinals, 2 scarlet skunk cleaner shrimp, 4 peppermint shrimp, 2 porcelain crabs, 1(?) emerald crab, and assorted snails and hermits.

Deinonych
04/25/2014, 01:26 PM
Paracide-X applied to food would be my recommendation (pellets work great). Metro is more of an anti-bacterial, anti-protozoan med, and it sounds like you have an helminth (worm) infection.

HumbleFish
04/25/2014, 01:29 PM
Another option is API General Cure - a Prazi/Metro combo. Probably not safe to use in a DT though.

salajander
04/25/2014, 02:52 PM
So the Paracide-X applied to food is ok for the other inhabitants of my DT?

No corals yet, just the CUC, blenny, PJs, and a few hitchhiker palys/zoas.

Deinonych
04/25/2014, 04:18 PM
It *should* be OK for the other fish to eat it. I would call NFP to get their opinion first.

GroktheCube
04/25/2014, 05:07 PM
Paracide-X applied to food would be my recommendation (pellets work great). Metro is more of an anti-bacterial, anti-protozoan med, and it sounds like you have an helminth (worm) infection.

What is Paracide-X?

I've searched google, and can't seem to find it or any information about it anywhere.

DasCamel
04/25/2014, 05:28 PM
Another option is API General Cure - a Prazi/Metro combo. Probably not safe to use in a DT though.

I added this to the food for 2-3 weeks. Soaked the mysis with it, just don't go crazy with it.

Deinonych
04/25/2014, 07:55 PM
What is Paracide-X?

I've searched google, and can't seem to find it or any information about it anywhere.

http://store.nationalfishpharm.com/NFP-products-Paracide-X-59589.Item.html

GroktheCube
04/25/2014, 08:36 PM
http://store.nationalfishpharm.com/NFP-products-Paracide-X-59589.Item.html

Great, thanks.