PDA

View Full Version : temperature up and down!

TX..r33f
04/14/2014, 03:06 PM
:)Hi, so I am running a 30g rimless tank with 15g sump. In the sump I have two heaters. One of the heaters has a digital face to show the temp. Any ways the the temperature keeps going from 77-81. I would like to keep the tank at 78 but it keeps going above and below to 77. I know this cant be good for the corals. The digital heater is good up to a 45g. The only problem is, that it seems that it cant keep up with 78 degrees without the other heater. Is the water cooling down that much when in the Dt to when it finally gets to the sump? Also how can I keep it at 78. thanks!

sirreal63
04/14/2014, 04:29 PM
Actually it is perfectly natural for corals to have temp fluctuation, in some cases it varies greatly hour by hour. Trying to keep it from varying is what is unnatural. The temps your tank is running are fine.

TX..r33f
04/14/2014, 04:31 PM
Actually it is perfectly natural for corals to have temp fluctuation, in some cases it varies greatly hour by hour. Trying to keep it from varying is what is unnatural. The temps your tank is running are fine.

Okay thanks! I was starting to get afraid.

tkeracer619
04/15/2014, 04:19 PM
Having a tank that is stuck at one temp has been argued to add a level of susceptibility to unintentional temp swings.

In my last house my tank went from 77 to 83 every day. If the ac in the house died and the tank hit 85 my tank should be able to handle that temp better then the reef that hasn't fluctuated a degree in 5 years. In theory of course.

In tidal zones coral is abused beyond belief. Mother nature is unforgiving. I got washed over a rock on one of my last snorkeling adventures. Took me a day to walk it off. Coral takes that all day every day.