PDA

View Full Version : First fish purchasing??

Luke Schnabel
04/14/2014, 04:03 PM
Before we start I will say my tank isn't even set up yet, I just like to plan everything to the best of my abilities.

It's 125gallon I know I can keep several fish but they will be going into a QT tank first. I want to get a pair of clowns first but I do want at least one other fish as well for my first go around. What would co exist with a pair of clowns in such a small tank? I was thinking maybe a yellow tang..?

TDM70
04/14/2014, 04:16 PM
I would go one or the other for a month or two. Even though its a big tank. Slow and steady.

Unome
04/14/2014, 04:20 PM
What kind of tank are you going for?

Peaceful?
Semi-aggressive?
FOWLR?
Maybe corals/mushrooms/zoas down the road?

I've been studying and looked at liveaquaria.com(sponsor here). They have fish and corals listed for beginners, nano tanks, and stuff. Looking on there can give you an idea of what would be available and work together.

I'm leaning toward going peaceful(as I can get) and using some nano-fish & invertebrates along with some tank bred peaceful fish. I know nano-fish are meant for a small tank but I'm wondering if they would be happy in a larger tank with more space to roam around and make homes in. I like the thought of tank bred fish, also.

Then at a later date when tank is established S-L-O-W-L-Y adding some corals, mushrooms and stuff(maybe).

And what TDM70 said is GREAT advice. Every person on here has always pushed patience as your best method along with reading and more reading.

Luke Schnabel
04/14/2014, 04:57 PM
I had a reef tank for two years and did find steady is best. I would think 3 fish to start off a tank that size wouldn't be that bad. My concern is the QT tank and what fish will get along with clowns the best?

scott3569
04/14/2014, 05:33 PM
+1 on live aquaria Luke, what about maybe a gobie for a sand sifter, something like that..

darbo1212
04/14/2014, 05:37 PM
Blue/Green Reef Chromis, Royal Gramma maybe?

darbo1212
04/14/2014, 05:40 PM
I picked a Royal for my first fish and I never see him so I would go chromis next time.

Luke Schnabel
04/14/2014, 07:23 PM
I will be getting chromis but I think I'll get 5 when I do since they are a school fish. And I'm more then likely having a semi peaceful reef. A few of my fish I would like to get would do some bullying.
List I'm thinking of...
Two clowns, Wrasse, Mandarin, Blue Chromis, Yellow Watchman paired w/ shrimp, Powder Blue tang, Yellow tang, Naso tang and sailfin tang.... And more
I know I can't have all the tangs but I really want the powder blue.

Won't know for sure what my bio load of the tank will be or what it can house but I plan of having about 200lbs of rock and my skimmer is rated for 500gallons

TDM70
04/14/2014, 07:25 PM
Flame angles are my personal favorite...but they are hit or miss in a reef.

Luke Schnabel
04/14/2014, 07:34 PM
I had a flame in my first tank and he was perfectly fine. I was cautious in getting it but don't know if I'll take the chance this time.

Flashy Fins
04/15/2014, 06:11 AM
It's your tank, so it's mostly up to what you like and can afford, but since you are asking for opinions...

I think the watchman goby would do well with the clowns and is a good fish to add early on. A blenny is another good choice, or the royal gramma mentioned if you are not planning to add more passive fish later on. How large is the QT tank?

Personally, I wouldn't get chromis, because uronema is so prevalent in them lately, and they're likely to kill each other off over time, till you have just one left. Most cardinals like being in groups (not the banggai), but I don't find them very attractive (you might). There are some dartfish that work well in groups, but I think most are shy and wouldn't necessarily do well with some of the fish you have in mind. If you really want an attractive group of fish, one of the hardier anthias species would be my choice, assuming you're able to feed small amounts several times a day.

Regardless of which tangs you do or don't end up getting (most of the ones you like need a much larger tank), it's important to add tangs last. They're really nasty when it comes to future additions once they're established and think they own the place. If it were me, I would go with the yellow (out of the ones you named) and add it only after you have every other fish you ever plan to add to the tank in there.

Flashy Fins
04/15/2014, 06:16 AM
Btw, I should specify that I'm not suggesting you get all the fish mentioned, or that you QT several fish at a time. Just talking about overall stocking. I would stick to QT'ing a max of 2-3 fish together at once, unless the QT tank is large.

Luke Schnabel
04/15/2014, 06:41 AM
My QT tank is 20 gallon long. I plan on having them in there for 8 weeks.
Thank you for the advice on the tang, I did not know they would do that. My first tank a yellow was my second fish I had. I'll go with the yellow and powder blue together added at same time.(can add removable barrier in QT tank if needed)

I do like the royal gamma and think either that or the yellow watchman will be the first choice to go with my clowns