PDA

View Full Version : Help with my new sps coral build

SliverTab
04/14/2014, 06:53 PM
I have had mutiple reef aquariums before but I've never had any sps corals... I've finally decided to try and make my new 115gallon cube aquarium sps dominate. I have radion led light. I was wondering what else I should buy and what i should have as water conditions. I've hers some people say 0 nitrates and others say there's better color an growth with nitrates between 2-4...any advice will definatly help... Thank you

bubblewood
04/14/2014, 07:18 PM
Interested to hear what others have to say on this. Nitrates and phos. :-)

Stackemdeep
04/14/2014, 08:36 PM
I can only relate my experience. While I enjoy looking at amazing TOTM set ups, I realized early on that I first needed to just concentrate on keeping them alive and growing. Coloration and growth rates could be dealt with later. To do that, I set up a standard sump with skimmer and a small fuge section to keep some Macro Algae growing. I set up a dual reactor with GFO & Carbon. I started with clean water then later increased feeding and fish to raise NO3 and PO4 . Slightly higher levels can result in better coloration, but it is a fine line that can quickly turn into large headaches if export is not well balanced. I also wanted my system to be mature before I played with higher numbers. Good luck!

Arnel0387
04/15/2014, 12:01 AM
Lots of random flow, go for 60-80x tank turnover. You're good with lights, but maybe supplement it with a few T5 bulbs if you can. What's the tank dimension? Because one radion fixture might not be sufficient. You need a powerful skimmer and keep nitrate below 5ppm but definitely not zero. Get a strong skimmer so you can feed your fish more. Fish poop = BEST SPS food!

CONSISTENT water change. TEST, TEST, AND TEST SOME MORE! Ive used salifert and Red Sea.

Stable Calcium, Alkalinity, and Magnesium. Aim for Cal 400-450ppm, Alk 7-10dkh, and Mag 1300-1400. You might need to invest in a doser or calcium reactor. I personally like dosers better.

HTH :)

Arnel0387
04/15/2014, 12:04 AM
Pics and tank info might help too!

SliverTab
04/15/2014, 12:43 AM
I'm kinda new to this forum so I don't know how to upload pictures... But it's 31" wide 32" long and 36" high. I was told the new radion pro is good for deep aquariums.