PDA

View Full Version : Just spotted a HUGE, HUGE Polyclad in my tank

GroktheCube
04/14/2014, 11:40 PM
I was just doing a little flashlight hunting, and nearly fell out of my damn chair when I saw the thing. It was easily 5" long and 2" wide, possibly larger.

I was too stunned to even think to grab my cellphone to take a picture. How the heck do I catch this thing?! Bottle trap baited with clam? I don't want to risk breaking it in half when I remove it.

captjab
04/14/2014, 11:49 PM
Maybe try the reverse water bottle trap with a clam from the seafood section of the grocery store.

catfishmatt
04/15/2014, 12:01 AM
Try to find what rock the SOB lives in and blow it up!!!! I bought a flat peice of live rock at lfs, and got one of those bastards... At 1st wasn't sure what it was so I left it alone until my clams where destroyed (that's 7 clams) in a matter of days so I did some reshearch and found out it was a poly clad. So after a few night reconnaissance I tried a shop vac to the rock and got half of him, so few days latter I pulled his rock out a dipped it. But I was satisfied! I need to the dead body, so I busted up the rock and it was still alive!!!! So I was going to kill it and wait it ate my clams so i decided to torture his *** it lasted 2 weeks in a Tupperware bowl with a lid! No new water or for two weeks and the damn creepy thing lived until I bleached it.... Don't take any chances nuke his ***!!!! Just my 2 cents good luck.

Reefer54
04/15/2014, 12:26 AM
Try to find what rock the SOB lives in and blow it up!!!! I bought a flat peice of live rock at lfs, and got one of those bastards... At 1st wasn't sure what it was so I left it alone until my clams where destroyed (that's 7 clams) in a matter of days so I did some reshearch and found out it was a poly clad. So after a few night reconnaissance I tried a shop vac to the rock and got half of him, so few days latter I pulled his rock out a dipped it. But I was satisfied! I need to the dead body, so I busted up the rock and it was still alive!!!! So I was going to kill it and wait it ate my clams so i decided to torture his *** it lasted 2 weeks in a Tupperware bowl with a lid! No new water or for two weeks and the damn creepy thing lived until I bleached it.... Don't take any chances nuke his ***!!!! Just my 2 cents good luck.

Yikes man, it was just doing what it was intended to do the only way it knew how to do it. just seems a bit more like you should have stuffed it and hung it over the tank canopy if it got the better of you at the cost of 7 clams....but you went all buffalo bill on it. at least you got it.

to the OP, i agree, get it OUT. But kill it quickly, go fishing with it.

GroktheCube
04/15/2014, 12:54 AM
Honestly, I think the thing is probably too big to use as bait for any fish we have around here, lol.

ReeferKimberly
04/15/2014, 01:24 AM
Just keep searching at night and when you see him catch him with a turkey baster. I have caught at least 6 this way. I find them every 6 months it seems. No idea why I have had such a high concentration personally.

fishysteve
04/15/2014, 05:49 AM
catfishmatt, you sir have some issues. Did your daddy not love you enough?

GroktheCube
04/15/2014, 01:10 PM
Just keep searching at night and when you see him catch him with a turkey baster. I have caught at least 6 this way. I find them every 6 months it seems. No idea why I have had such a high concentration personally.

There's no way he'd fit through the opening of a turkey baster, unless I can find one with a 1.5" plus opening and get him from the front or back.

FullBoreReefer
04/15/2014, 04:34 PM
Small tuperware bowl with lid. Cut a few slits in the side and bait with a clam. Drop it in around lights outs. The small slits will keep crabs and such out, but allow the worm to squeeze in. The slits should be an actual opening of a few millimeters or so, not just a "crack" in the side.

Good luck!

Breadman03
04/15/2014, 05:31 PM
There's no way he'd fit through the opening of a turkey baster, unless I can find one with a 1.5" plus opening and get him from the front or back.

Video is necessary. :eek:

ReeferKimberly
04/15/2014, 06:37 PM
I have caught several 5 inches or more with turkey basters. They kind of shrink up when bothered. Just a normal baster, for use in cooking, always works for me. Here is a video of a smallish one. I should have taken video of the last one which was twice as big. Just make sure to get all the air out first then suck so you don't rip it in half.

This one was about 4 1/2 inches when fully straight.

MMMsMSBw1eE

And yes no need to torture an animal like catfishmatt. (that is messed up, btw). A little boiling water kills them instantly.

ArmyGreens
04/15/2014, 06:42 PM
www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-pGHVRTbDA

Is another

daweedski
04/15/2014, 07:28 PM
Hey, have you tried tossing in some PraziPro, I used it to cure my fish's Tang Turbellaria and it also killed some worms in my tank. Since a polyclad is a turbellarian flatworm It might work. However PraziPro is most likely to kill any Xenia's.

JackandJill
04/15/2014, 08:02 PM

Put that down on my list of places to avoid.

GroktheCube
04/15/2014, 08:11 PM
I kinda like most of the worms I have, and I don't know how many of these there might be so I'd rather not nuke all the worms in the tank with prazi. If there are a few big ones, I'd think it could be problematic.

I made a bottle trap out of a 2l soda bottle, with some ventilation holes. I baited it with a live clam from the supermarket fish department. I'm going to keep an eye on it tonight.

I'm a little reluctant to kill it at all, TBH. It's pretty cool. I might put it in my maximini nano, as I don't think it's a threat to them. If not there, I'll try to hunt down someone that wants it. If I can't, my GF has a 20 long housing a banished hitchhiker crab (its claws are about the size of my thumbs) where he can go. I'm generally loathe to kill hitchikers (save the ACTUALLY evil ones like Aiptasia), it just doesn't seem right to me and many are interesting in the right environment.

If I nab him, I'll post pics and video. I'm curious how big he is, I've never seen his whole body.

I was on the verge of adding a tridacnid, so I'm VERY glad I found him when I did.

hogfanreefer
04/15/2014, 08:30 PM
Caught this one going across the sand bed in the middle of the night. Just scooped him up with a small bowl.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f164/huntindoc/aquarium/polycladflatworm_zps84d702d4.jpg

Caught his buddy the next night the same way.

http://s47.photobucket.com/user/huntindoc/media/aquarium/hiker8-3_zps6cc14881.mp4.html

wrott
04/15/2014, 08:33 PM
Naa, I'd ship it to catfishmatt and see how medieval he could get w/ that worm!

I hope you can catch it(them), and am glad that you didn't have to lose a clam.

GroktheCube
04/17/2014, 07:58 PM
Just posting an update.

I bought a dozen live M. mercenaria clams from the supermarket to use as bait. I felt bad about leaving them in the fridge or freezing them, so 11 of them are living in my sump while one sacrificial lamb sits in a trap (half of a 1l soda bottle with large slits in the sides) in my tank. Tonight will be night 3.

Interestingly, the clams seem happy and healthy despite not being able to burrow. I assume they were farmed in Florida, so they should be OK with water in the 80s. I'll be curious to see how they hold up.

catfishmatt
04/22/2014, 10:33 AM
When you have one destroy as many things as I did yea you would go deathcom 5!!! And scream, IT PUTS THE LOTION ON....

GroktheCube
04/22/2014, 12:10 PM
Still no luck in catching it. My bait clam is still alive and happy. I haven't seen it once since the initial sighting. I wonder what the heck it's eating that is has no interest in a nice juicy clam just sitting there?

GroktheCube
04/23/2014, 03:10 AM
Well, I decided I need to go nuclear against some extremely invasive Xenia anyway. One vial a week of Joe's Juice ain't cutting it.

I have some fluke tabs on the way. I'm going to bathe a few SPS colonies in fluke tab juice, then pop them into the tank to let the residue off the Xenia.

I'm assuming that this will also take care of my polyclad problem.

ReeferKimberly
04/23/2014, 03:25 AM
I just had a dream that I was walking in the ocean and thousands of these crawled onto my feet and up my legs. Thanks a lot ;)

wrott
04/23/2014, 04:44 PM
When you have one destroy as many things as I did yea you would go deathcom 5!!! And scream, IT PUTS THE LOTION ON....

That is hilarious!
I was thinking more like using a pasta machine to see how thin you could roll it, then maybe make some polyclad linguini!

But kidding aside, could you try a different bait, like a piece of shrimp??

Some good info:
http://www.rzuser.uni-heidelberg.de/~bu6/flatintr.htm