PDA

View Full Version : Help!!!! Need to make water quick RO/DI without Membrane

tdb320reef
04/15/2014, 03:51 PM
Hi,

I just confirmed with the Manf that I got a bad batch of salt in which I did 120G water change in my 320 reef over the last two weeks and all of my Acros are STN/RTN Long story short I need to make water quick and replace as much water as possible with different salt.

I hooked my RO/DI bypassing the Membrane and Brand New DI resin with new Filter and carbon blocks and the water pressure is much better. The tDS meter reads Zero the TDS coming from my house is typically 100. Is this a good solution knowing it will use up the resin quick which is not a problem in this situation.?

Thanks!

tkeracer619
04/15/2014, 04:02 PM
Yes. Absolutely fine. The DI won't last long. Ignore the TDS, get the water changed.

You don't need an rodi. You can use tap and a treatment in a pinch.

That really sucks :(

Boggles my mind individual batches aren't tested for quality before being packaged.

Vinny Kreyling
04/15/2014, 04:20 PM
What brand should we look out for?

tdb320reef
04/15/2014, 04:39 PM
Hi - I promised the company I would not throw them under the bus. I will tell it is not reef crystals which I plan on using for the big water changes.

It is working great without the membrain and I have a large bag If DI. Do you think the chlorine is being removed with the di?

Thanks all for helping me in a pinch.

imkelz
04/15/2014, 04:46 PM
I would like to know as well. I wouldnt see it so much as throwing them under the bus, more like making your fellow reefers aware.

Bakes2
04/15/2014, 05:15 PM
Yeah you don't owe them anything. They caused you the headache

tkeracer619
04/15/2014, 05:17 PM
The prefilters should be getting the chlorine. They will not get ammonia (DI will) and if your local supply uses chloramines the leftover ammonia will eat the DI quickly.

Do you have your local water report?

tdb320reef
04/15/2014, 05:33 PM
The prefilters should be getting the chlorine. They will not get ammonia (DI will) and if your local supply uses chloramines the leftover ammonia will eat the DI quickly.

Do you have your local water report?

Thanks. Fortunately I have low tds like 100. So far I got about 30 gallons made in the last hour and my TDS is still 0. I am going to use Prime just as a safeguard.

kurt_n
04/15/2014, 09:21 PM
I use straight DI after carbon and prefilters, with incoming TDS at around 80. Expect to get around 50 gallons before TDS starts to go up from zero.

tdb320reef
04/16/2014, 04:44 AM
I use straight DI after carbon and prefilters, with incoming TDS at around 80. Expect to get around 50 gallons before TDS starts to go up from zero.

Thx. Yep that is exactly about how much I got allowing the TDS to get up to 5. Doing ~110 gallon WC now.