PDA

View Full Version : Not sure what to do with new fish

brianfarm6767
04/15/2014, 11:53 PM
Earlier today i received my first order from swf.com . I ordered 2 false perc clowns, 1 fire goby, 1 purple pseudochromis, and 1 yellow tang. I also ordered 45 assorted snails, pods, chaeto, and ulva all for my 100 gallon display and 55 gallon sump that has just finished up cycling.

First off the firefish was beyond dead when he arrived, already looked to be decomposing which concerned me but i should receive a full refund so not much else i can do. The next issue i noticed was one of the clowns looks to have a torn pectoral fin which is keeping it from swimming properly and spends most of the time sliding across the glass bottom or laying on its side.

These fish are all currently in a 20 gallon quarentine tank which looks to be plenty big since all these fish are very small at the moment.

I am debating on medicating to one help heal the torn fin and also to help reduce the chance of any carried parasites or other issues before i add to the main tank in a few weeks. I currently have on hand paraguard, prazipro, cupermine, stresscoat, and stresszyme. I live an hour or so from a lfs so i decided to keep as much as possible on hand. I am wondering what would be my best direction to go?

Reefer54
04/16/2014, 12:11 AM
It sounds like you have a good handle on it already. fins should heal themselvesprovided they arent torn into the flesh and is just the fin that is torn.

but otherwise, keeping an eye on the fish, your water parameters in the qt and medicating correctly are the best things you can do right now.

good luck, have fun. research first

Crooked Reef
04/16/2014, 02:20 AM
Do you have access to selcon or other vitamins to soak the food in? May help the fish gain strength and heal quicker.

julie180
04/16/2014, 06:26 AM
I would take the wait and see approach. Medicating just to medicate is hard on the fish. If you see something, get a positive ID and medicate as needed. Torn fins should heal themselves. Just keep and eye for secondary issues.

formsix
04/16/2014, 06:55 AM
I'm planning on dosing prazipro on all my fishes in QT. It seems like the only med that has close to no side effects and is worth dosing all new fish with. Since it only takes 2 weeks for the full dose, you might want to just give your new arrivals a chance to chill and keep and eye on the clown's fin before starting the prazi (also, in case you need to treat w/ something else first).

brianfarm6767
04/16/2014, 07:58 AM
Thanks for the input

fins should heal themselvesprovided they arent torn into the flesh and is just the fin that is torn.

Looks to be just the outer part of the fin and not down to the actual body of the fish.

Do you have access to selcon or other vitamins to soak the food in? May help the fish gain strength and heal quicker.

I would either have to drive an hour to Dallas or order it online, which I may do in the future and keep on hand for new fish if it helps. I did make some DIY frozen food and included a lot of different things in it that is supposed to be rich in vitamins so that may have to do for now.

I'm planning on dosing prazipro on all my fishes in QT. It seems like the only med that has close to no side effects and is worth dosing all new fish with. Since it only takes 2 weeks for the full dose, you might want to just give your new arrivals a chance to chill and keep and eye on the clown's fin before starting the prazi (also, in case you need to treat w/ something else first).

I was on the same though track as you. What I am leaning towards doing now is giving the fish a week or so to become settled in, and then start a dose of prazipro. This is my first attempt at marine fish and I may not be able to identity issues that are on the fish. Prazipro seems like it would be easy on the fish and also help eliminate the chance I missed something and introduce it to my display tank.

brianfarm6767
04/16/2014, 12:15 PM
Is stresscoat even worth using? seems like the torn fin would be a good time if any.

outssider
04/16/2014, 05:52 PM
Don't sweat the tear in the fin. as long as the fish is healthy and eating well, it will heal quick.

brianfarm6767
04/16/2014, 05:55 PM
It looks healthy besides not being able to swim very well and spending most of the time on its side hiding next to a pvc pipe. I fed them for the first time today and all of the fish took the food quickly.

wrott
04/16/2014, 06:19 PM
Prazi and other meds can kill appetite, best to do like you said and wait a week before dosing.