PDA

View Full Version : Are these lights pretty much useless?

m0nkie
04/16/2014, 12:45 AM
tank size 60x18x24. Trying to run some SPS and LPS in the future. I have 2 Kessil 360WE, 2 T5s

However,

the two T5s are 18watt Coralife Aqualight with 10k and actinic. They are only 18watts per bulb. I'm reading people using T5s between 24-50 watts. So are these two T5s pretty much useless on my DT? Should I just use them on my fuge and Qtank instead?

CoralReeForrest
04/16/2014, 01:02 AM
tank size 60x18x24. Trying to run some SPS and LPS in the future. I have 2 Kessil 360WE, 2 T5s

However,

the two T5s are 18watt Coralife Aqualight with 10k and actinic. They are only 18watts per bulb. I'm reading people using T5s between 24-50 watts. So are these two T5s pretty much useless on my DT? Should I just use them on my fuge and Qtank instead?

Not useless if you just want softies such as shrooms and some more hardy zoas. You could supplement with more t5 or just upgrade in general. Three halides as well as some t5, and led setup. Those would be most cost effective. I know larger in length t5 setups tend to be pretty pricey and require bulbs replaced every 6-8 months. LEDs are more expensive but pay for themselves quickly, and halides are just really hot as well as needing replacement every year or so.

Jchris896
04/16/2014, 10:48 AM
From what I've read, the two Kessil 360WE would be more than sufficient for the tank you describe, as long as I read your post correct that you already have these? You shouldn't have any need to supplement them.

CoralReeForrest
04/16/2014, 12:17 PM
For sps, nems, and the such you really want to shoot for 2-5 watts of lightin per gallon as a rule of thumb. Idk I had 3 24 watt t5 coral life's to start with on my 75 gal and stuff was living but it wasn't thriving or coloring well. Just didnt seem to do well.

m0nkie
04/16/2014, 12:43 PM
thanks! Yes I have the Kessil 360s on the way. I've done some research on LED and chose the Kessils over AI Hydra.

I planned on using my T5 to supplement the Kessil. The reason is I only have 2 LEDS and my tank is 6ft. It will most likely create shadow effect. However, I noticed my T5s were only 18watts, so I wasn't sure if it's good enough as supplements. If not, I will either buy 1 more Kessil or a bigger T5.

CoralreeForrest, can you please explain about the 2-5 watts per gallon rule? My tank is 100 gallon + 40 gal sump. So I would require about 500-700 watts? How does that work? If Kessils are only 90 watts each and T5s are about 20-30 watts? I don't see anyone with 6-7 Kessils for 100 gallon..

thanks so much! these little technical things gets really confusing for beginners

CoralReeForrest
04/16/2014, 02:15 PM
thanks! Yes I have the Kessil 360s on the way. I've done some research on LED and chose the Kessils over AI Hydra.

I planned on using my T5 to supplement the Kessil. The reason is I only have 2 LEDS and my tank is 6ft. It will most likely create shadow effect. However, I noticed my T5s were only 18watts, so I wasn't sure if it's good enough as supplements. If not, I will either buy 1 more Kessil or a bigger T5.

CoralreeForrest, can you please explain about the 2-5 watts per gallon rule? My tank is 100 gallon + 40 gal sump. So I would require about 500-700 watts? How does that work? If Kessils are only 90 watts each and T5s are about 20-30 watts? I don't see anyone with 6-7 Kessils for 100 gallon..

thanks so much! these little technical things gets really confusing for beginners

That's just the rule of thumb I've seen doing research on lights. Most LEDs a 3 watt bulbs and with a 6 foot tank with over 200 bulbs like some have that mark would be easily reached. Then agin that was also in doing research for my 4 foot tank. However though most t5 folks run the high output and those bulbs I do believe are 54 watts? So agin with a 6 or 8 bulb set up the 2-3 watts would be obtained.