PDA

View Full Version : ESV B-Ionic Salt Mix Questions

Scorpius
04/16/2014, 11:51 AM
I'm starting up a 25 gal reef cube aquarium. I've only found a little info on this salt and it seems like it's a great salt mix. I don't want to add a bunch of unknown chemicals into my tank like other salt mixes may/may not.

I guess what I'm trying to ask is it a high quality pure salt mix that won't hurt my corals and fish and is consistent in it's quality and advertised levels?

I figure with only 25 gals it would be very important to keep my parameters stable and consistent when I do water changes. I don't want to hurt my corals!!!

albano
04/16/2014, 12:29 PM
I've been using ESV salt for a few years, as are quite a few people that I know...all are happy with it... very consistent, mixes clean, ready to use as soon as it is mixed.

bertoni
04/16/2014, 12:38 PM
I think I've seen generally good reviews of this product. It should be fine.

Scorpius
04/16/2014, 01:04 PM
Sounds good. I don't mind mixing salt. I want to provide the best environment possible for my tank inhabitants.

jedimaster1138
04/16/2014, 01:04 PM
I just switched from IORC to ESV and I'm not going back. Mixes completely crystal clear, no brown gunk build up like with IORC.

The only negative is that it's in 4 components (which is why there's no gunk build up), so you have to mix each into your bin of RODI , which takes about 2 brain cycles extra, so whatever. What's nice is that it's ready to use in a little over an hour. You don't have to "age it" like other brands. Add the first component to the water, wait 1 hour ish, add the second, wait 15 minutes ish, add the other 2 liquid components with 5 minutes in between, done.

Big fan.

It *is* a tad more expensive, but to me it's worth it. With the amount of $ we pump into these tanks, a few more $ for a higher quality item that's you know, the basis for the whole tank... I'm OK with that.

Randy Holmes-Farley
04/16/2014, 01:52 PM
Sounds good. I don't mind mixing salt. I want to provide the best environment possible for my tank inhabitants.

I'm not sure I'd conclude that it is "better" for your creatures than other mixes, but it is certainly a fine choice. :)

Wolfgang
04/16/2014, 03:47 PM
Always tested low in Mag for me. ESV Only tried to convince me that its the test kit, but it showed normal Mag levels for other brands of Salt.