PDA

View Full Version : Carbon bags - what is sufficient?

cvsailer
04/16/2014, 01:52 PM
I have a 92 gallon FOWLR. I do not have a GFO (I believe that's the acronym), so every month I replace in my sump two Acqua Clear 110 carbon bags which are each 9.2oz. I have not had any visible issues at all, but generally speaking is that sufficient?

thegrun
04/16/2014, 02:45 PM
If it is working for you, yes it is sufficient. If in the future you start to have problems a reactor would be a more efficient way to utilize the carbon and/or GFO.

MrTuskfish
04/16/2014, 02:49 PM
As much as I like Aqua-Clear filters, the pre-packaged carbon is really worthless. Buy a decent size bag of a good carbon (GAC) and media bags. Much cheaper, too. I would use about a cup, maybe a bit less, of the GAC monthly in a 92 gal tank.

mcozad829
04/16/2014, 03:00 PM
If you are not noticing a problem then it is sufficient. Later down the road you may upgrade to a reactor for gfo and carbon if you deem it necessary. I will say that in the long run you save money on a carbon reactor because you can use much less carbon more efficiently and you will have to buy carbon much less frequently. (granted carbon is cheap so it may take a while to break even)

cvsailer
04/16/2014, 03:26 PM
As much as I like Aqua-Clear filters, the pre-packaged carbon is really worthless. Buy a decent size bag of a good carbon (GAC) and media bags. Much cheaper, too. I would use about a cup, maybe a bit less, of the GAC monthly in a 92 gal tank.

What is the difference between GAC and the carbon in the Aqua-Clear filters? Also, how long would you expect a cup of GAC to be effective, a month? Finally, if you only need a cup (roughly 8oz), then the 18oz I'm putting in may not be necessary.

cvsailer
04/17/2014, 08:50 PM
anyone? thx in advance for the help and advice.

shermanator
04/17/2014, 08:52 PM
It's hard to say and it depends on the individual aquarium. I use Chemipure GAC.

A good check of GAC efficacy is the white bucket test. Fill a white bucket with tank water (during a water change). If it's yellow at all compared to fresh saltwater, it's time to change your GAC.