PDA

View Full Version : How long till clowns host anemone?

thedasher
04/16/2014, 07:31 PM
I was wondering how long it will be till my new platinum clownfish host the new rbta. The guy I got the clownfish from had an rbta that they were hosting. So does that mean they will positively host this one?

RandoReefer
04/16/2014, 07:36 PM
You can't ever be too certain that they will or won't, and there isn't a set amount of days/weeks/months until they do. Just because you have an anemone and a clownfish won't guarantee that the hosting will happen. MANY clowns host many things other than anemones, i.e. Coral colonies and even Clams!

My B/W Ocellaris started hosting a small Seabae anemone after two months of it being in the tank. Yet, once the hosting began, the anemone grew from a .50cent piece size to his now 1.5' or more across!

jlongwell
04/16/2014, 07:56 PM
It's hit or miss as to whether or not a clown will associate with an anemone, even if they were hosted by an anemone previously.

You'll just have to give it time.

thedasher
04/16/2014, 08:55 PM
Alright thanks I guess I'll just be waiting and hopeing they host it

addictedreefer
04/16/2014, 10:11 PM
Yea you just have to wait. Right now I have a pair of ocellaris that have decided to host the overflow instead of the two carpets (1 gigantea and 1 haddoni) in the middle of the tank which cost me a small fortune. Gotta love it!

Bernie21
04/16/2014, 10:40 PM
I had a clownfish for 9 yrs that never hosted any anemone & I had an Rbta, LTA & sebae nem together. she and her partner never even went close. I would get the clowns allergic to hosting. they never hosted anything.

thedasher
04/21/2014, 01:23 PM
Got one of my clowns to host the anemone. But if the other clownfish comes near the anemone the one hosting it acts aggressive towards it and doesn't let it near it. But still happy that one is hosting the anemone. 274566

Sugar Magnolia
04/21/2014, 02:26 PM
It's the anemone that is the host, not the clowns.

jathan_innerarity
04/22/2014, 03:26 PM
My wife keeps asking when hosting will happen. Thanks for posting some back up to the you have to wait answer I gave.

ryannterror
04/22/2014, 04:00 PM
I've found that pretty much any ocellaris clown I add to a tank with a gig or mag will almost instantly go to it. I think It really just depends on the type of clown and type of anemone. That being said every fish is different so really no one knows what will happen.

thedasher
04/22/2014, 10:32 PM
Yah I just pushed the clown towards the anemone with a net and right when the clown touched the anemone, it started swimming through it and stuck with it

ssc
04/22/2014, 10:55 PM
I have one clown have had it two months the tank has Been running 4 month is it two late to put a second clown in did it the first already change it was small also what to put anemone in to but I am told tank has to be running 6 months

thedasher
04/23/2014, 08:59 AM
I have one clown have had it two months the tank has Been running 4 month is it two late to put a second clown in did it the first already change it was small also what to put anemone in to but I am told tank has to be running 6 months

You can put the second clown in but try to put a clown smaller than the one in your tank or the same size. Also I think that you should wait the 6 months because the system can change in your tank through out the months. So you should wait a little longer to see if everything is stable.

D-Nak
04/23/2014, 09:33 AM
Yah I just pushed the clown towards the anemone with a net and right when the clown touched the anemone, it started swimming through it and stuck with it

This is also a great way to kill a clown. Despite your positive outcome, forcing a clown into a nem typically leads to a clown covered with nematocyst stings, eventually leading to death.

NEVER force a clown into a nem.

IME experience, when clowns are placed with their natural host, 99% of the time hosting occurs within minutes.

Since platinum clowns are percula, their natural hosts are Leathery (Sebae) Sea Anemone (Heteractis crispa), Magnificent Sea Anemone (H. magnifica), Giant Carpet Sea Anemone (Stichodactyla gigantea), and Merten's Carpet Sea Anemone (S. mertensii).