PDA

View Full Version : Death of shrimp?

MTF7
04/16/2014, 10:10 PM
Ok well I had a fire shrimp and he was doing really good! He was huge! Tonight I found his body ( could be a molt) but no sign of the shrimp and I normally can see him after he molts and the would be molt is logged under a rock which belongs to my diamond goby. Who/ what do you think happened to it? Did my diamond goby eat it did it die of old age? I mean this thing was at least 3 inches so it could have been older also I changed my water too about 3 days ago it might have been a little salty and I heard they don't cope with rapid salt but my clam is just fine. my sg. Is 1.026 which is a little high maybe I'd like to keep it in the 23-25 range. Sadly I think he is dead and it is not a molt I shall wait 3-4 days and if I don't see him oh well I will just get a new one maybe 2!

Crooked Reef
04/16/2014, 10:22 PM
How long did you have it? Without any other information I would guess old age just based on the size.

MTF7
04/16/2014, 10:31 PM
Hard to remember I had it about 4 months maybe it molted about 5 times it actually lost a leg and molted it back ( coolest thing about the shrimp!) but when I got it he was pretty huge already he was bigger than my mama clown I know that

Spyderturbo007
04/17/2014, 06:30 AM
It's normal for them to hide for a few days after molting to allow their shell to harden. They are pretty vulnerable right after a mold. Can you post a picture of the molt / dead shrimp?

slgcmg
04/17/2014, 08:12 AM
how established is your tank? I had one molt and die right after when my tank was newer.

oblio
04/17/2014, 09:24 AM
Critters hide for varying times, don't be too quick to call him dead if you cant find anything to support that theory other than "i haven't seen him today" my nickle is on, he is just waiting for his shell to harden up a bit.

MTF7
04/19/2014, 12:26 PM
Trust me guys I know this isn't a mold because I cannot see him, my rock work and his sheer size prevented him from going too far into a rock to be seen and it's been a good week since I last saw him as well, it is very possible he climbed into my rear chambers of my biocube if that happened he is most likely dead I did have peppermint shrimp living back there for about a month but ultimately getting diced by my return pump and there is no signs of my fire shrimp in the rear chambers (cleaned out the back looking for him)