PDA

View Full Version : Genicanthus pairing not going well

rompininphx
04/17/2014, 12:39 AM
I added 2 female Genicanthus Melanospilos to my tank. Theyre about the same size and one is being super aggressive. I know that one is establishing dominance but its more than just chasing. The one that's doing the chasing is nipping at the underside of the other one. They were qt'd together for a month with an eggcrate separating them and they're now in a 6' 150 gallon. The one that's being chased is hanging out in a corner near the top now. Should I separate them or let them work things out?

Whisperer
04/17/2014, 04:25 AM
Not a good sign. I would net the weak one and let it recover in the QT then trade with LFS.

nrbelk
04/17/2014, 04:09 PM
I've always read that with angles you needed to find a male and female to pair and that male/male and female/female won't pair.

albano
04/17/2014, 04:27 PM
I've always read that with angles you needed to find a male and female to pair and that male/male and female/female won't pair.

Not sure where you read that, but it have had great success with 'pairs' (and trios) of female Genicanthus Angels turning into M-F pairs!
I've also had a more dominate male 'force' a less dominate (even different type of Genicanthus) male to return to female colors, but not to worry, it can still change again, if that more dom. fish is removed.

nrbelk
04/17/2014, 05:01 PM
huh, not sure what I read either. Just found more stuff talking about it. That's pretty cool, I didn't know they could do that. I thought everyone's pairs where that way from the start, with angel fish at least.

For others that might not know, here is the link I just read.

http://www.coralscience.org/main/articles/development-5/fish-sex-change

tkeracer619
04/18/2014, 04:54 PM
Remove it. If it is just a dominance thing the fish won't be physically hurting the other one. If there is physical damage angels will succumb quickly.