PDA

View Full Version : Difference between sump and wet/dry

goodnight144
04/17/2014, 03:26 PM
Ok so I am currently set up with a wet/dry filter and was advised I should switch over to a sump, my question is: what is the difference? I read the article on the beginner thread about sumps and I really couldn't figure out how it's different. Can anyone provide me with details and perhaps a link to how to build my own sump?

m0nkie
04/17/2014, 03:37 PM
I started off with a filter too (due to LFS recommendation).. did some research and returned it.

Filters trap nitrite inside and if you don't do weekly maintenance, it might spike your tank.

The sump is basically another tank under your main tank. the filtration will be done by your live rocks and live sand. Water goes from your tank into the sump. The sump usually has 3 parts.

1st is where tank water goes to. you put a protein skimmer here.
2nd is a refugium, where you raise plants to grow pods.
3rd is where water goes back into the main tank by a pump.

I don't think you should build your own sump. It's not hard, but you should let a pro handle the building. Or craiglist and buy used sumps. there are many for sale.

Try to get THE LARGEST SUMP possible that fits. You will eventually put everything inside or around. (skimmer, heater, chiller, reactors, UVs, etc. etc. etc..)

here's a picture for reference..
http://www.4fishtank.com/P1010142.JPG

garygonzales
04/17/2014, 03:42 PM
wet filter is what i have...tho ...i took out the bio balls and added live rock...as far as the filter media...i clean them once a month...works for me.......just saying.........

goodnight144
04/17/2014, 03:43 PM
I attached the picture of the filter I have. With the exception of the plants I don't really see what the difference is between the two. Is it that the bioballs are submerged?

m0nkie
04/17/2014, 03:50 PM
the wet/dry is also a nitrite factory. It competes with the aerobic bacteria in the live rock and does not house enough anaerobic bacteria to digest the nitrites. Both a sump and a fuge create more water volume which is very good, the more volume the better. If you are planning on a reef with SPS corals you are going to want to skimm like mad. For that you need a sump.

a sump does not need Bio balls...

Neptune 555
04/17/2014, 04:51 PM
why not just use a large tank as your sump? is their something unique about the flow / sections created in a sump that makes the largest tank you can just put under it not ideal? What is the goal of having the sump w/ different compartments?

Neptune

m0nkie
04/17/2014, 05:01 PM
you can use a large tank as your sump, just make sure to divide it up. silicone + glass sheets. (acrylics and glass do not glue well together with silicone)

Each section has its own function. The first section is usually where dirty tank water goes. You want a skimmer in there to clean those water as much as possible. Then it will flow into the next section, which is either a returns section back to your main tank or refugium. The refugium will have live plants inside. You can grow pods and others things. You want water flow inside to be slow and steady. Slower than the rest of the sump. Another good reason to divide the sump

you see these 3 lines on each side of the sump? Those are the dividers. Water travels down and then back up into the next section. It also eliminate most of the bubbles. You don't want a bunch of bubbles in your main tank.
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l194/jasno999/SUMP.jpg

there are lot of things to consider while building a sump. Maybe talk to a professional before attempting yourself. You need to consider how high your water level should be (how high your skimmer sits to work best), is there enough space for all your equipment (I like all my reactors inside to prevent leaks), refugium or not, probeholders for your ATO, etc. etc...

also, how many return holes does your tank have? how many overflows? all these will contribute to your sump design.

m0nkie
04/17/2014, 05:12 PM
here's my design.. pretty simple. Made a 40gal for my 100gal tank.. costed just as much as the tank... I also had to drill my tank. all because I jumped on the tank without doing the proper research first

https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1.0-9/10250089_10100637446479140_720770489892708761_n.jpg

Sgt Jonny Cat
04/17/2014, 08:12 PM
Watch this video...It's very helpful for your question...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7HtQGnpqIs

bundybear1981
04/17/2014, 08:49 PM
why not just use a large tank as your sump? is their something unique about the flow / sections created in a sump that makes the largest tank you can just put under it not ideal? What is the goal of having the sump w/ different compartments?

Neptune

Main reason for segmenting a sump is to allow a stable water level in certain compartments (ie the skimmer is dialled to a certain water level, you don't want it to vary or your skimmer will overflow) I would skill use the largest tank I can to make the sump out of thou. More volume = more stability in your system overall.

I run my sump in the following format :-

| Drain From tank, skimmer -> baffle -> return section & pump <- baffle <- flow controlled drain

That allows to control the flow thru the refuge to a slower rate with the main drain still unrestricted.