PDA

View Full Version : ionic imbalance, what's the worst that can happen?

coit
04/19/2014, 06:27 PM
Someone asked why exactly they need to mix magnesium chloride and magnesium sulphate together yesterday and I found myself kind of reaching for a good answer. At least as far as I remember - you can do some stuff that isn't so great for a tank like decouple how specific gravity relates to actual salinity. But as with most tank chemistry things these are just rules and bits of information I half remember than stuff I understand as a chemist would.

What's the worst that can happen? Other than getting a buildup of chloride or sulphates in the tank (which again maybe beg their own 'and what happens then?' :D). Something bad? :D

bertoni
04/20/2014, 02:14 AM
We don't know what might happen as the ionic balance shifts. I tend to err on the side of caution, so I use magnesium chloride and magnesium sulfate to help keep the chloride and sulfate ratio in line with nature.

coit
04/20/2014, 09:48 AM
Oh yeah, I have no intention of finding out - I mean, not deliberately anyway. But I was just wondering if there is any collection of research on lethal doses over time, or reproductive health effects, etc, on fish or inverts exposed to it.

bertoni
04/20/2014, 11:44 PM
I doubt it very much, unless the situation shows up in nature.

Randy Holmes-Farley
04/25/2014, 09:29 PM
I've never seen anyone study it. Could be no noticeable effect at all until it is very skewed. :)

Reefvet
04/25/2014, 10:43 PM
Could be no noticeable effect at all until it is very skewed. :)

And a very small ecosystem like a reef tank would probably be the easiest place to get to 'very skewed' sooner than later.