PDA

View Full Version : Snowflake eel ate my dragon sleeper goby

tarl1089
04/19/2014, 07:56 PM
It ate it, whole. Seriously. I had even fed it a whole krill a few hours earlier. My snowflake eel isn't even very large, maybe around 12" or so and it leaves my clownfish and green chomis alone (which are smaller than the goby was, by the way). Has anyone else had this happen? The goby was only a few hours new to the tank (I bought it earlier today) and was 4"-5". I'm seriously considering seeing if my LFS will take my snowflake eel towards credit for a new goby because I had been wanting one of those for a while.

ReeferKimberly
04/19/2014, 08:00 PM
I have had a dragon sleeper with my snowflake for a few years. Snowflake is 18+ inches. I am guessing yours ate him because he was new. When I put new things in the tank Ellie ALWAYS investigates. I know at any time she could eat any of my fish which is why I only have 4. And no shrimp or non-hermit crabs.

One day they can just decide to eat your fish, it happens. I am not pretending she can't eat mine....she just hasn't 'yet'. Maybe never...but you never know.

Sorry you had that happen :/

(also krill is kind of small. Mine was onto larger things like small silversides by 12 inches. Maybe he/she was hungry)

Also since the goby is a bottom dweller.....

tarl1089
04/19/2014, 08:25 PM
I was worried about it being a bottom dweller but the eel had not shown much aggression towards the other fish thus far so I wasn't concerned. I suppose if it could gobble down a whole goby maybe one krill is not enough. I was just following feeding directions my LFS gave me for the eel :( next time I'll be sure to double-check their advice.