PDA

View Full Version : Need to know the diamentions needed for the bottom panel on a tank im restoring

skyecastro
04/19/2014, 08:20 PM
So i paid $125 for a square borderless aquarium and the bottom panel was cracked the bottom edge of the vertical panels were originally silicone over the top of the bottom panel. my guess is the pressure of the glass pushing down on the bottom panel could have cracked the tank because it was built wrong but i could be mistaken ,I'm no expert but should the edges of the bottom panels be silicone to the sides of the vertical panels? I was unable to measure the bottom pane but two vertical panels are 36"x20" and the other two are 35 3/16"x20 they are 1/2" thick. So could someone please inform me the correct dimensions i need to give the glass company i plan on getting 1/2" tempered also what type of edge would be best polished Or sesmed edges?

nemosworld
04/20/2014, 01:32 PM
If you measure the dimensions of the tank and then subtract the thickness of the glass, you should have your dimensions.

As for how it's built, it can be built both ways, side panes on top of bottom pane or, the 4 sides can be attached to the sides of the bottom pane making the bottom pane and the 4 sides all touch the stand. Most rimless tanks has the sides silicones to the sides of the bottom pane. At least from what I have seen.

NanoReefWanabe
04/20/2014, 05:08 PM
well i assume your tank is supposed to be a 36x36x20 cube then…but the end panels appear to be too long…if you want to wrap the glass around the bottom glass (the way i think it should be done as well) then you would want the glass bottom to be cut to the same dimensions of your front and side panels…less one inch in the front panel…so i would say 35 3/16 x 35"….the 35 being the front and back dimension and the 35 3/16 being the sides…

at least that is how i would order it…if your glass guy can cut accurate to within 1/8" which he should you could shrink the front back dimension by 1/8" to make up for the silicone joints.