PDA

View Full Version : Dolphin pump questions

inetmug
04/19/2014, 10:02 PM
Inherited dolphin pump on 250G. I am stating to think maybe I bite off more than I can chew :-).

Pumo came off running system two weel ago. Went to bench test today and I I get is hum. Rinse with freash water, can turn impellor, and then it starts, but hum, slowly. Is this normal?

the first time I turned it off fast when it hummed, on the second time I gave it a second and it started. is it perhaps a "slow starting pump"? It is a 1/15HP pump. Also, where is the best place to get a rebuild kit? The screws in the pump housing leave something to be desired.

I am used to pool pumps so I get the concept, just need the details. Thanks in advance.

Dave & Monica
04/20/2014, 12:26 AM
You need to ensure there is water in the line. I believe no dolphin pump is self priming.

inetmug
04/20/2014, 09:11 AM
You are correct as I learned from the Dolphin site last night. But, Dolphin does make a dry runnable pump as well (just FYI). This was broken down on the bench, with tap water on the impeller.

As it turns out, the Diamond series appears to have a lifetime service warranty. This is the 1/15 HP deal. Not sure it it will apply to me as I inherited the pump, but I am going to send it back to Dolphin in the AM. Want to start this big arse tank off right.

inetmug
04/21/2014, 07:42 PM
So far what an awesome company...

Dave & Monica
04/21/2014, 07:54 PM
I've heard nothing but good things about those pumps. Should last after being serviced. I suspect it was run dry for awhile. Just a guess though on my part. Good luck.