PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on irradicating overgrown, unwanted Zoas.

lammy2012
04/19/2014, 10:27 PM
Hopefully this is the correct place for this thread, but I have some Zoanthids that I picked up when I got into the hobby about a year ago. When I started, my lighting was an issue, which I'm sure is the cause of these monster Zoas. I have 2 colonies of the same species with heads the size of quarters and stalks the size of my pinky finger. They're not very pretty and have taken over multiple pieces of rock. I obviously don't want to frag them while in the tank for fear of toxin release. I really can't remove the rock(s) they're attached to without partial disassembly of my aquascape or disruption of other corals. Can I starve them of light and food by covering them with something like a piece of black plastic bag with hopes of them dying off? Scraping them from the LR while in place will be nearly impossible without a strong possibility of accidentally slicing a stalk or 2. I hope I'm not offending anyone by wanting to intentionally kill a living organism, but I can't figure out another logical way without destroying my aquascape. Any advice or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

leveldrummer
04/19/2014, 10:38 PM
Honestly, the best bet is going to be just goin for it, and removing the entire rock, re-aqua scape and do your best to minimize any trauma to the rest of the tank.

philosophile
04/19/2014, 10:49 PM
You shouldn't have to worry that much about toxins from just removing the zoas... But I just can't help but wonder if you have aptasia...

ALH
04/19/2014, 10:52 PM
You shouldn't have to worry that much about toxins from just removing the zoas... But I just can't help but wonder if you have aptasia...

That's what I was wondering

lammy2012
04/19/2014, 10:54 PM

It's definitely not Aiptasia. They're not an anemone. Definitely massive Zoas. I'll post pics in the morning when the lights come on, but they're a muted purple-ish color with green tips.

lammy2012
04/19/2014, 11:01 PM
Not the best photo showing color, but here's one of the colonies in question.

jzaso
04/19/2014, 11:07 PM
Sundial snails eat them up (palys/zoos)-I am not a big fan of them neither, invasive!
typically have some mojos embedded in the colony-

lammy2012
04/19/2014, 11:14 PM
Sundial snails eat them up (palys/zoos)-I am not a big fan of them neither, invasive!
typically have some mojos embedded in the colony-

I have other zoanthid colonies I'd like to keep.

lammy2012
04/19/2014, 11:17 PM
Here's a slightly better close up

greg1786
04/20/2014, 12:02 AM
Ive had success cutting zoas while in the tank, but its tough to do with jarring a rock or two loose accidentally. I wouldnt think you have to worry about the toxin affecting other livestock at least I have never had that issue. Just be sure to wear shoulder length gloves if you go that route. I would have to second what level drummer said though. Your best bet is to bite the bullet and just pull the whole rock out. You could trade it to your LFS for a rock of equal size with no zoas attached and possibly some store credit. In the passed when I have had to remove a rock or two that affects my aquascape I take a picture before breaking it down and then use it as reference when rebuilding. Good luck!

Dave & Monica
04/20/2014, 12:24 AM
Yea, frag them and sell or trade em IMO. Fragging zoas are so easy, 20 min watching on YouTube should be all the instruction you should need. Helps defray the costs of the hobby.

JKDMan
04/20/2014, 01:58 AM
those are palys, not zoanthids. Some palys are very colorful and desireable. wear gloves if u mess with them.

lammy2012
04/20/2014, 07:08 AM
those are palys, not zoanthids. Some palys are very colorful and desireable. wear gloves if u mess with them.

Thanks. You're right, they are palys. I'm not familiar with them, but after doing a little research, they look like purple people eaters. Can anyone ID them? In a larger tank, I'm sure they would look good, so I may just bite the bullet and pull the rocks for someone else to enjoy.

djdenv
04/22/2014, 04:58 PM
Hard to tell in those pics. I'd have to see them under my lights to id ;) lol